2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 58 plate on 55k and it seems to of started using oil.

Had the car 5 years and it barely ever used a drop in the past. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and it was just under the top hole on the dipstick, but after a 250 mile drive the level is between the two holes in the middle! The car runs well and I haven't been driving it any different to what I usually would.

I get it serviced at Honda and they always use the same grade so I don't think its that.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts
Got a 58 plate on 55k and it seems to of started using oil.

Had the car 5 years and it barely ever used a drop in the past. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and it was just under the top hole on the dipstick, but after a 250 mile drive the level is between the two holes in the middle! The car runs well and I haven't been driving it any different to what I usually would.

I get it serviced at Honda and they always use the same grade so I don't think its that.
Any oil in the expansion tank? is your tail pipe very oily inside? (Not a Euphemism :laugh2:) any excessive smoke?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tail pipe seems normal and no excessive smoke that I know of. Im sorry but what is the expansion tank and how do I check it?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts
Tail pipe seems normal and no excessive smoke that I know of. Im sorry but what is the expansion tank and how do I check it?
It's in the Engine bay where you would top up the water and coolant.. Hopefully it'll not be oily.. Also take off the Oil cap and check that underneath it isn't Milky..

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Replace there PCV valve in yours. Its usually what causes this. Also how many times do you Hit VTEC on your Type R? all K series engines burn some oil at high RPM

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I pinched the hose on the PCV valve and now I can hear a hissing kind of noise which goes again when a squeeze it. Im guessing this needs replacing now?

Don't really Vtec that often.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
ive replaced the PCV on mine...mine has 170k on clock and uses about 500ml in a couple of weeks roughly 300-600 miles!

but it's been doing this since about 60k!

did 3 years of 30k a year and topped up weekly about 300-500ml

if i drive it hard, it obviously uses more, but just normal driving it seems to burn

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Does the FN2 seem so hungry on engine oil? Please excuse the question, a noob here. Different folks saying different things
Not a tpe R owner, but I've heard that the maximum normal oil burn on a K20 is 1L / 1000Miles, but that comes with a few provisos:-
Oil use will depend on the break in; If it has been broken in well, you won't burn as much - an over gentle break in will leave you burning more oil (This is something I've heard / seen, so can't cite too much!)

You will also find that oil use tends to occur when the engine is used properly - In excess of 5K RPM :D
Essentially; Lots of VTEC = Lots of Oil

If you feel like it is burning a lot of oil, you can try upping the oil viscosity, from an 0W30 (usual fill) to a 0W40, Which seems to improve the situation for those with oil burn.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Interesting read. I used to only top up 500ml between annual services, but this year have had to top it up by 750ml. Not so concerned after reading above! Will have a look into the PCV and expansion tank though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update.

I changed the PCV valve and the car has stopped using so much oil, haven't done a massive amount of miles recently but taking it up to Scotland in a couple weeks so fingers crossed its all good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts