2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been getting some condensation in the rear lights.

surely this is a fualt?

regards scott harris

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but is it a fault?

and should i complain, which i do love doing lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Condensation in the lights

Hi Scott

I have visited the supplier of the rear light lenses with my current job about 2 months ago. When speaking to the technical director he told me there was an early on problem with misting / condensation inside the indicator assembly. This apparently was over come with the addition of a De fogging spray that is applied to the inside surface of the lens before assembly (the quantity and coverage of the De-fogging spray is probable key to condensation or not). He also told me that after the lamp is activated during normal running the heat should be sufficient to burn the water off. The lense is attached to the back bit of the light assembly using ultrasonic’s (melts the two plastics together using vibrations I think). If the two mating surfaces are not clean, or are chipped then the material will not join together (leading to water ingress). I’ve check around my lights and the joins looks quite ruff however this is currently not happing on my car but if it did I would be taking it straight back to the dealers

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have to give it to them to do the foglights and change a dash piece, so ill get them to do that too.

i must stress hondas service has been bog standard and they are over hyped in the surveys i tihnk.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
sco77harris said:
well i have to give it to them to do the foglights and change a dash piece, so ill get them to do that too.

i must stress hondas service has been bog standard and they are over hyped in the surveys i tihnk.
I think it depends on your dealer really. Is there another nearby?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Its the same with all Franchises. Some are brill, others ........

·
Registered
130 Posts
Light condensation is a common problem on all cars to be honest, you will notice it a lot more in winter.

However, always worth complaining and they might just change the light cluster.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
If its a common problem, I don't think they'll change the light cluster !! :wink: I have'nt noticed a problem , but my car is in a garage overnight. Does this help ?.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I had small amounts of condensation in mine on the day I collected it, I was advised it was natural to expect some condensation initially as the environment the lights were made in and the dealers forecourt were of course different, it went after a few days, not seen it since.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Like I say, you will notice it more in Winter.

If most of the cluster is getting condensation then I would say there is reason enough to complain, however if its just a little area or a number of very small areas then probably not worth arguing over and you wont succeed.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
If one light or one area is badly condensated, then the chances are that the light may be leaking and water is collecting in there. It's normally very obvious as there will be condensation nearly all the time.

Normal air contains water, though (especially so when it's raining), so all lights will on some occasion get condensation on the lens (at dusk commonly when the lens cools faster than the air in the light). Never heard of putting an anti-fog on the inside of lenses. I've got it on the inside of my helmet visor (and it kind of partially works) but that to me sounds a bit odd. If the plastic welding process was at fault, then surely they would bin the faulty bits and start again, rather than bodge it - you would have thought...

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yeah, like the faulty shocks they still used on the production line even though they knew they were noisy.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Seems like they can't allow any set backs in their production lines. Demand is so high that they keep making cars, even when they know that all the parts aren't up to required standards. Let's hope we don't see another case of faulty parts being used.
No recall yet, at least :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
You'd hope that as soon as they knew they'd stop using faulty stuff - it would only be more expensive in the long run. But the shocks did seem to take a while...

As for the rear lights (in particular the indicators), you'll know if it's faulty because you'll see a little pool of water at the bottom of the lens (dead easy to see). If they all get a little bit of condensation occasionally, then that's quite normal.

The rear lights in the Civic are totally clear (normal cars are frosted) so you'll see this when normally it's a bit hidden.

One thing that is a bit confusing - the plastic weld is quite rough, and can look like a watery join. But it's not, it's just a rough join. A fault would be the entire lens of one light only covered in condensation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some of you may find this interesting, or it may send you to sleep (sorry), but I thought a quick physics lesson may help this particular discussion.

The amount of water vapour that can be held in the air is dependant on the temperature of the air. For example, air at 30ºC can hold 30 grams of water per cubic meter of air, where as air at 0ºC can only hold 5 grams per cubic meter of air. When the air is holding as much water vapour as is theoretically possible for that temperature, the relative humidity is 100%. So air at 30ºC and 50% relative humidity has 15 grams of water vapour in it. Why is this important I hear you ask? If you have a sealed container with air in it at 30ºC and you cool it to 0ºC, the excess water (25 grams for each cubic meter of air) will have to go somewhere - it collects on the sides of the container as condensation or dew.

This is why bathroom mirrors become steam up when you have a shower. The air in the room is warmed by the hot water from the shower and can hold lots of water, but the mirror is cold. The air near the mirror is cooled by the cold mirror and the water collects on the nearest available object - the mirror.

Also, when water vapour in the atmosphere reaches 100% humidity and is then cooled, the excess water falls out of the air and becomes rain.

This is also the same theory that explains why it is a good idea to use the air conditioning on winter mornings to clear a misted front screen. The air in the car's heater unit is cooled to reduce the amount of water it can hold (this can sometimes be seen to drip from under the car on a hot day). It is then heated (in the absence of water so it can't become more humid) before being blown onto the screen. The result is warm dry air which is great for absorbing moisture – clearing your windscreen.

The condensation forms in the lights for exactly the same reason. The air inside the light is always being heated (by the sun or the bulbs) and cooled by the air around it. As a result, sometimes condensation will be visible on the inside of the lens. This has always been the case, but recently manufacturers have moved towards clear lenses that don't hide the condensation as well as frosted or coloured lenses. There is nothing that can be done to stop it, the air inside the light has to be allowed to escape (otherwise the light could explode) when it heated up and by the same token air is sucked into the light when you turn off your lights or overnight as it cools down.

You can make up your own mind if this is a problem or not. In my opinion, I understand why it happens and that is enough. Sure enough, some times of year are worse due to the weather, but it's not going to stop the lights working and it's a small price to pay for one of the best looking set of lights on any car on the road.

Sorry if that was a little heavy going. Time to wake up now. The next lesson is French with Miss Evans. :wink:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im using crown honda in bushey.

they said they will look atthe lights when i have my extras added.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
I had a few 'Foggy' lamps last winter and despite having new parts fitted, it didn't improve much.
They weren't at goldfish level, just looked bad. They cleared up with the finer weather of course so unless they're really bad best leave alone until they have a 'fix' I'd register the complaint with the dealer anyway so they can't blame you for it later 8)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts