2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

The AC is not working on my 2009 Type R GT.
I have carried out a few tests. Obviously the relay was suspect but I have ruled that out by swapping it with the one in my wife's 2007 1.8 EX which I know works.
The compressor also runs ok if I short the contacts where the relay plugs in.
I didn't manually run the compressor for very long (20 seconds max) because I know it is not good for it if there is low/no gas but when I did run it very briefly there didn't appear to be any cooling at all.
This has led me to be pretty certain that it is a gas issue.

When I switch the AC on there is no power sent to the relay (tested with a multimeter) so my assumption is that when the gas pressure sensor detects an issue it breaks the circuit before the relay as opposed to after?
This would make sense and I am just looking for confirmation that this is the case?

Thanks,

Sean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
when i first got mine i had AC issues, it turned out to be the AC Radiator that had been hit by a few decent stones and had de pressured the system, lobbed a new rad on and got it re gassed, its been fine ever since.

Sound to be a similar issue, the best way to find out is see if you can see any of the radiator behind the lower front grill has been put through.

Hope that helps bud.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
hi sean you are correct that when the ac gas preasure is low the system will shut down the power to the main relay so as not to damage the pump
get it vacuum tested regassed and it will probably work ok

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys,
I just had a quick look with a torch and does look like the radiator has definitely taken a beating. There are still some stones stuck in there. Hard to tell if there might be an actual puncture.
I only bought the car a few weeks back and everything was supposed to work so the dealer is still responsible for sorting it.
It is going in on Tuesday to them but the type of person I am I do not fully trust anyone so I like to have a bit of information myself beforehand so I am not in a position to have the wool pulled over my eyes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts