2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I've been reading this forum for a while as I was keen on a civic and yesterday I got one at auction. It's a 2008 SE 2.2 CDTI with full leather and heated seats.

I know I will probably need to replace the clutch and DMF when I get it. I do not want the standard setup as it will just fail again. I don't intend to remap the car - I just want a reliable clutch (used mainly for motorway).

I know a SMF conversion is the way forward - but which one? CG's or TDI north's? My brother in law is a mechanic with his own garage and has done a few DMF's on the civic already so I will just give it to him to fit. I want it done (naturally) as cheap as possible.

Thanks folks

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
If you're not remapping then the latest Honda clutch (325) will probably hold up okay for you, provided you don't abuse it continually. A new DMF should hold up k's miles and will absorb any vibrations from the engine and protect the drive train.

A more robust option would be either of the single plate offerings; CG's 666/SMF or CC/TDiNorth's - which is on a container and in transit atm.

CG's kits don't appear to come with instructions so do some research on fitting first.

Good luck.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
I really don't see why the 'best' version of the Honda/LUK clutch and DMF (the so-called Honda '325' version) shouldn't last indefinitely on a car with the standard map.

I think many replacement clutches fail because they were not corrected fitted with the required tool (many clutch fitters wrongly think they know better!).

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Don't think they will be much to choose between CG's 666 kit & the CC one.

CG's have sold a few of them now. Their SMF is cut from a solid high tensile billet & the P Plate is a Sach unit. The plate is OEM smooth on take up.

CC's SMF has a fitted ring gear to it, has a CC made P Plate and should have a smooth drive take up with the face materials used.
With TDI North taken up CC's mantle they should sell well given their offered fitting service.

Both IMHO are good choices, shop for the best price?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know I will probably need to replace the clutch and DMF when I get it. I do not want the standard setup as it will just fail again. I don't intend to remap the car - I just want a reliable clutch (used mainly for motorway).
What makes you think this? Is it known to be slipping / failed? I have an 07 plate 2.2 with just over 100,000 miles and it's still in the factory clutch / DMF. There are many more failure free units than failed ones. If I were you I would just enjoy driving the car and worry about the clutch if it does fail.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Although people may not recommend it, I had a 325 clutch fitted to my old car when I bought it from the dealer as it started slipping a month after purchase. That was at 90k miles.

I then remapped the car on that clutch at around 120k miles and it was still going strong at 131k when I sold it.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I really don't see why the 'best' version of the Honda/LUK clutch and DMF (the so-called Honda '325' version) shouldn't last indefinitely on a car with the standard map.

I think many replacement clutches fail because they were not corrected fitted with the required tool (many clutch fitters wrongly think they know better!).

If you're not remapping, this is a sensible route. I believe Honda may still be offering their fixed price option too? Worth enquiring.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Brother-in-law can get me the LUK flywheel and clutch (325) for £500 from one of his suppliers. Honda will likely ask for over a grand for the same kit fitted. I am getting labour for free

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I popped into tdi south today who said they would supply the cg clutch... no mention of the cc one?
My 325 clutch has just started slipping again.. was replaced 20k ago!

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
I popped into tdi south today who said they would supply the cg clutch... no mention of the cc one?
My 325 clutch has just started slipping again.. was replaced 20k ago!
Torque Developments are Competition Clutch dealers and will be able to do them when they arrive but all the development and testing has gone through us at TDi North. (Different companies) so they probably don't know much about them as we have been dealing direct with Competition Clutch. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hijack in on this thread, but how can you find out which model clutch you have?

Looking to do a stage 1 remap, car has done 77k and no signs of any slipping yet.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
07 plate, if it's original will likely be the 305 (made of chocolate)... if it's been replaced at all, it'll most likely be the 325.

My 07 was the 305.... it's now the 325....

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If an 07 plate has the 305 clutch and 09 comes with the 325, am I right to assume my 08 plate civic will have the 315 version?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Torque Developments are Competition Clutch dealers and will be able to do them when they arrive but all the development and testing has gone through us at TDi North. (Different companies) so they probably don't know much about them as we have been dealing direct with Competition Clutch. ;)

Aha.. that explains it.... how much would a clutch kit be supplied only from yourselves

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I too am confused by the options. I have a Celtic Tuning stage 1 map and since then clutches last <20k miles. As it's a family car I'm loathe to get an upgraded clutch due to the firm pedal issues and also don't want to meddle with replacing the dmf with an smf as my logic is that Honda designed it that way, so I'm in no position to question/change it.

So, I spoke to a helpful guy at CG and asked their opinion for the above scenario. They advised going for their stage 1 clutch which would feel the same (drive and pedal) as the original but would last longer and cope with the remap. They also advised the dmf does not always need to be replaced during a clutch upgrade and if it runs smoothly then no need to replace. The only caveat here is that if during clutch fitting, there was found to be excess play in the dmf then it would make sense to replace then, but to stick with standard Honda dmf to keep the original drive and feel.

To me, that seems like the best option for keeping things as original as possible, but getting a clutch that would last longer than the Honda one.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
We will supply the CG 666 kit for £550 while we wait for a official price on the Competition Clutch kit.

This includes a lifetim warranty while you own the vehicle...

1 - 20 of 239 Posts