2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Should I sell my 2.2 Type S and buy a Type R?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well, just throwing this out there as I am in two minds at the moment.

I've just spent over a thousand pounds having an OEM clutch and flywheel installed and having all the grey trim on my pre-face Type S GT colour coded... but now I am so eager to sell it and buy a Type T.

Has anyone got any input? I'm really fighting with the idea in my head!

Thanks
Vish

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
How many miles do you do? That's the only question really. If less than 15ish k then no point suffering with driving a compromise (diesel)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles do you do? That's the only question really. If less than 15ish k then no point suffering with driving a compromise (diesel)
That's my thinking. I bought the 2.2 as I was doing 15K plus a year, but am now at the final stages of buying my first property and its 5 miles from work :D .

And thanks CivicNut I'll have a good read now!

·
R-398
702 Posts
No I have not, being 19 my 2.2 is the most powerful car I've driven for more than the odd nip about. I am just dying to go back to petrol!
If you can afford the insurance along with the fueling and mods that are guaranteed to follow (don't even say you won't mod :p) then go for it.

I do between 15 and 16k a year mileage and this is my 2nd year with an R and I don't regret changing over from my cts.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Have you gotten a quote for insurance on an FN2, to see if it's a viable option? It wasn't for me. I could have replaced the clutch on a 2.2 type S twice a year for the prices i was getting (when i was 26, 5yrs NCB)!

That and the fuel costs meant it wasn't an option. It's also much cheaper to get the 2.2 to 200bhp+ than it is getting a type R to 230bhp+. It's not the only factor, but if power is something you're chasing, it's worth considering.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
You can get an fn2 pretty cheap these days which offsets the running costs a bit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can afford the insurance along with the fueling and mods that are guaranteed to follow (don't even say you won't mod :p) then go for it.

I do between 15 and 16k a year mileage and this is my 2nd year with an R and I don't regret changing over from my cts.
Well I'm waiting for the devil... sorry, the insurer to come back to me with a price to change over mid term, they wanted £150 to go from my 2.2 to a 335i M Sport pushing 307BHP, so hopefully a type r wont be more (probably will be ;( ).

And i wont mod it... Said every modder ever ;)

Have you gotten a quote for insurance on an FN2, to see if it's a viable option? It wasn't for me. I could have replaced the clutch on a 2.2 type S twice a year for the prices i was getting (when i was 26, 5yrs NCB)!

That and the fuel costs meant it wasn't an option. It's also much cheaper to get the 2.2 to 200bhp+ than it is getting a type R to 230bhp+. It's not the only factor, but if power is something you're chasing, it's worth considering.
I will soon be moving within 4 miles of work (dropping my daily commute by 48 miles) So fuel cost shall not be an issue :).

And I'm not chasing power, more chasing that excitement i got from my 1.6 EP2 when i was 17, instead of all these sensible diesels i've gravitated to recently.

You can get an fn2 pretty cheap these days which offsets the running costs a bit
Yes they are going quite cheap recently and i'm hoping to snap one up :)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
5miles to work? I would have got a FN2. If it's worth the cost to change is up to you ( also no doubt a new car will need a few mods or new tires etc..) Personally I I would keep the 2.2 that you know is sorted and reliable and get cheep fun/track car to scratch that itch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
5miles to work? I would have got a FN2. If it's worth the cost to change is up to you ( also no doubt a new car will need a few mods or new tires etc..) Personally I I would keep the 2.2 that you know is sorted and reliable and get cheep fun/track car to scratch that itch.
I agree with what you're saying, but the other issue is that blasted DPF in my car, i know it'll give me greif being as the car will only get warm about once a week haha!

I have a 600cc street fighter Yamaha that was supposed to "scratch the itch" but it just doesn't get rid of that hunger for a petrol car with a decent sound track :(. Don't get me wrong nothing gives me a kick like doing 0-60 in 3 seconds and hearing the thing burble and pop on the over run ;)

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
why didn't you do it in the end?
Fixing up my house costs money so I haven't had the money to change. I've also done some mods to my 2.2 to make it better in the handling department.

Good look insuring a FN2 at 19.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
If you are considering selling your 2.2, that means that you have observed the differences, thought of what you like / don't like in the diesel, and considered that there is more of a bonus despite the extra running costs, in the purchase of a CTR - notwithstanding the potential OEM clutch replacement in the diesel.

If you read that out aloud in one breath, then go ahead - get the CTR!! :D

Al.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts