2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone got a how-to for changing the engine coolant? honda want £75 for replacing it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would certainly have the brake fluid changed every three of four years but I don't think it's necessary to change the coolant on a three year old car if it's the original stuff and not been contaminated..

Mine is a a 2012 diesel and I had the brake fluid changed last year but have no intention of changing the coolant

My penny worth!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im the same with the brake fluid i just cant justify the £75 for coolant when its about £15 for 5L.
want to do it myself as ive done brake lines/fluid pads and discs before and im sure i can do this but cant find any info on the euro 9th gen civic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry, I can't help with the specifics for your car but I wonder why you want/need to change the coolant on a car that is only 3 years old, unless of course it has done 62.5K miles (diesel) or 120K miles (petrol)?

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
There is, as above, an interval for changing coolant.
Usually the initial interval is extremely long, but more frequent after the initial change.

It's not as important as some other maintainence, but it isn't that expensive and keeps the cooling system working effectively, which is worthwhile if you plan to keep the car.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is, as above, an interval for changing coolant.
Usually the initial interval is extremely long, but more frequent after the initial change.

It's not as important as some other maintainence, but it isn't that expensive and keeps the cooling system working effectively, which is worthwhile if you plan to keep the car.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
thanks for the input the car is on 65k and was due for coolant replacment at 62500 miles so im going to do it myself this week got the coolant on order.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,396 Posts
I wouldn't use prestone in mine. Only Honda recommended. And they didn't flush it out but handy video. If only changing oil was as simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't use prestone in mine. Only Honda recommended. And they didn't flush it out but handy video. If only changing oil was as simple.

ive bought the type2 coolant from honda but only think that i find strange is every video ive seen theres 2 tanks!
one for the rad and one to top up.
on the 9th gen facelift theres only one.
that you topup .

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was ready for a change i drained system while i replaced the air filter.
very easy to fo all running fine.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,396 Posts
ive bought the type2 coolant from honda but only think that i find strange is every video ive seen theres 2 tanks!
one for the rad and one to top up.
on the 9th gen facelift theres only one.
that you topup .

Having looked at coolant refill section for a diesel it shows filling via expansion tank with no other cap.

·
i-Vtec
2,615 Posts
Did you find any concentrated coolant, all I see is the ready mixed stuff from Honda, which makes no sense when your doing a change as you will never get all the old stuff out.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Did you find any concentrated coolant, all I see is the ready mixed stuff from Honda, which makes no sense when your doing a change as you will never get all the old stuff out.
If it's concentrated, you'll need to mix it before filling anyway, so why does it make any difference? I don't understand (sorry if I'm missing the point)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts