2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I've joined the forum because of a corrosion problem i have.

I bought my 59 plate 2.2 in November 2013 from Brighton Honda with a years warranty. I had it MOTd a few months later and serviced there after a year. In November 2014 I had a prang which required some bodywork repairs. Because the other party didn't admit liability, it took months for it to get sorted. In the mean time I started to smell diesel around the car. This smell got progressively worse until fuel started to leak from underneath the car.

At this point I took it in to get looked out. I had assumed that the accident had caused the leak but no, it was corrosion of the fuel line:

I was utterly amazed that a 5.5 year old car would suffer from corrosion in this dangerous way. Also surprised that it hadn't been noticed when the car was serviced.

To make matters worse, the replacement part has a 6 week lead time!

I talked to Honda who told me they had no intention of arranging repair or helping towards the cost.

The garage temporarily fixed it with rubber hose to get the car back on the road.

I have seen one or two other civics on the forums with this issue but what do you think - should Honda be helping out with this?

Thanks

Dan

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

Sorry to hear that you have this issue, others have reported it too.

Modern cars tend to have large under trays and the Civic's covers the front 3/4's of the car. These trays often aren't removed for general servicing which tends to mask issues such as yours. Worst still, they aren't removed for MOT's so issues can go completely unnoticed.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,396 Posts
Starting to look like something Honda need to look into as this is the third very similar picture I've seen recently. All diesels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm its not very encouraging. I'm surprised that Honda HQ didn't appear disturbed by the picture I sent them in the slightest.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Ouch, another one, thats not very good! :worms:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 59 plate diesel has just gone the same way. Honda UK were absolutely no help. I got a local garage to replace the corroded section with a rubber hose.

Particularly disappointed with the issue, as I had expected more reliability from Honda. Dealer called me about the new civic yesterday, but I think I'll be going German.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
So a pipe has corroded and you're thinking of changing the car because of it? Come on, it's an easy fix. Good luck with VAG, BMW etc :worms:

Reactions: jamesmckelvie

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Although a PITA due to the age of the car, its an easy fix using some copper pipe for a few quid. I certainly wouldn't be waiting 6 weeks for a so called "Genuine Honda" pipe! It will probably take longer to jack the car up than actually fix it.

Best check mine - and to think I was recently complaining about how bad the brake pipes corroded on the mrs old E36 Compact @ 16 years and how my Celica brake and full lines are "just" starting to corrode at 17 years...................they just don't make cars like they used to!

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Wouldn't even bother with copper pipe, just rubber pipe it.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I was the poster for the "shocking fuel leak" thread a few weeks back. Its the return hose and for reasons unknown, Honda made this particular section in bear metal! Anyway, there is not really any high pressures going through this pipe so my final fix was a piece of fuel safe hose and a couple of fuel hose clips at a grand total of £8.45 . been fine ever since.
Initially though to stop diesel leaking and leaving potentially dangerous patches everywhere I parked, I patched it up with some pressure and chemical safe self algamating tape and a couple of fuel clips. I may as well have left it on because it was an absolute pain to remove for the permanent repair! I wouldn't worry about getting the part from Honda, just fix with fuel hose!

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,396 Posts
Mine failed its MOT today as a result of this... Garage s just going to rubber hose it. Shocking bit of Engineering though on an otherwise sound car.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Can anyone tell me the best place to cut the fuel pipe, should it be cut on the straight or up towards the tank as it rises?
I've been struggling to cut the pipe in the tight space with a pipe c cutter!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got this problem with mine also. Armed with some 8mm and 10mm rubber fuel hose and some jubilee clips. Hope this goes well :smile3:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi RIP. WHere did you eventually cut and replace. Do you have a photo. What size of hose did you use?

Cheers
Ricky

1 - 20 of 21 Posts