2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my 06 Civic since new and have just encountered a fault.

This morning on starting the engine management warning light came on and the glow plug light lit up.

I took the car to the dealers and they told me that the sensor had corroded and would need to be replaced, with the part at £50. However he also said it was possible that the harness would need to be replaced, which would be an additional £430!

Since the car has only just passed out of warranty (three or four weeks ago) he is phoning Honda to see if they will cover the cost of the repair.

I had a look on these forums and the symptoms seem to match some ECU problems, and also (and most similar to what the mechanic said) a corroded glow plug relay.

A potential £480 is a hell of a bill for a car that has only just been serviced and has also only just gone out of warranty. While it has not been confirmed that I will have to pay for it I was just wondering what you forum members think I should do if I get lumped with this cost? Forewarned is forearmed and all :(

Also, has anyone else encountered this problem at a similar stage in their car's lives? I don't see why the parts should corrode like this and cause such problems, it's not like the car has been submerged in water!

Any advice will be most gratefully received,

Cheers,

Al

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There are a couple of other threads regarding glow plug warning, both fixed by updating the ecu firmware to the latest version. I can't imagine the harness is that corroded so as to need replacing, I would ask the dealer to show you the problem.
Anyway, worth asking for the latest firmware, I would expect them to do that for free seeing as it is a known problem.

·
Wigan Warriors
1,052 Posts
not good at all, i always think sensors should have a separate warrantee for this type of thing. Corrosion on this part after only 3 years is very worrying. How many others will have this problem as they are coming up to 3 years …. :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I have just had exact same problem diagnosed with my 06 civic diesel. I have left my dealer trying to claim on warranty although it ran out 2 weeks ago. Its always the same, these things happen just after the warranty runs out. The repairs inlcuding labour are £1052. Its crazy, Im just really hoping the dealer can get somewhere with the warranty claim. Will let you all know the outcome.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This just stinks of "rip off". Ask them to show you the problem, ask about firmware update, ask for a detailed costing, put your trainers on and run like hell.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I wish I could run away from it, but until the problem is resolved it is not going away. I have seen a detailed breakdown of the £1052 and i trust them enough to give me an honest assessment. They had the car apart for 2 hours investigation the problem. Its definitley engine cooling related as the fan is running at full blast most of the time, Im assuming due to the fact the sensor does not know what the engine temperature is. I am able to drive it without causing further problems, but i guess you should only do this for so long. Still waiting on a call back from dealer regarding the possible warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
The sensor is about £50, the cradle or whatever it lives in is also corroded and need replacing, thats £450. the rest in labour - about 5 hours if my memory serves me right and then the VAT. Im as amazed as you are right now. But thats the breakdown of it. Still waiting to hear from dealer about warranty claim and Im getting quite worried now.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Well I have just been informed that HUK will not do anything under warranty, although its only 16 days past expiry. The dealer is now talking to customer liason to see if something can be worked out, with a level of good will. What a joke this is turning out to be. I have to wait until tomorrow now to see what will be offered. Im now at my wits end. i guess I WILL have to wait until tomorrow to see what the outcome of that will be before I can decide what the next course of action will be.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
if thats the case tell them you just want the sensor changing and nothing else, see what they say then, that smells very iff'y to me

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I would want to see the problem for myself as it sounds like they are wanting £1000 to fix a corroded connector by replacing an entire wiring loom. Maybe the don't have the expertise to replace a connector.

I see there are others with the same problem.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
So do you think that replacing the sensor will do the job for now? I will put that to them tomorrow and see what they say at the dealers.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
i had the same problem, and they updated the ECU software, they have a special disc for this problem, so i don't understand why you dealer doesn't know that....

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
But the sensor has corroded and does not work anymore - or at least that is what they are telling me. I will ask them about the software update tomorrow, to see if they have explored that avenue. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I maintain looms on fighterjets that connect to fueltanks and weapons, some over ten years old they dont corrode so i dont think your civics will be. As PCR says the connector may well be corroded infact this could be very likely, but the rest of the loom will be fine. The looms should be well protected. Sounds like they are trying to make you pay for a new loom and make some money off you! Its not being unskilled there cant be that many pins in a connector that connects to a sensor. . . 4 . . 6 at most?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Thanks guys for all your feedback. I appreciate it.

Todays update is that the flashing light and the fan going beserk has stopped. After 2 days of coming on every time I start the engine and staying on permenantly is now not on at all. Surely if the sensor has corroded it would not work again?? The fan has returned to working normally and not on all the time like it has been. All seems good, but this has me more confused. Any more help guys??

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
It would be helpful if you could identify which "sensor" the garage are saying is corroded.
There are 4 glow plugs controlled by the Glow plug control module, situated to the right of the engine as you look at it. That module is held in by one nut.
That could be causin a fault with the glow plug warning light, but where is the massive expense in replacing it?
Guess you need more precise infomation from the garage on what their exact intentions are.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ummmm .... this makes the £250 for the 1yr extended warranty seem well worth having!. esp as its 10 x £25 payments.

sorry to hear about these probs guys, iv got the cdti .. might be keeping might be changing it ... but in meantime im getting that warranry just in case!

·
Registered
275 Posts
i would not say this has anything to do with glow plugs. the glow plug warning light flashing covers more faults than just the glow plugs. i have replaced a wiring loom on a civic and it was the coolant temerature sensor that was corroded. honda prefer to replace the loom than cut the loom and splice a new connector. they do not supply the connector separately. this should be replaced under warrentie or at leist a large proportion of the costs payed for by honda.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sod the warranty and goodwill route thats just a distraction that will mean lots of conversations with no outcome.

Sales of Goods act states something should be fit for purpose. Is it acceptable/ the norm for this component to only last just over 3 years? I suspect not and therefore should be replaced free of charge 100%.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts