2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a start to the day! The key fob wouldnt unlock the car this morning and niether would the key. The key fob led is lighting up so there is definately some battery life there. I also tried the spare to no avail.

In my haste I only tried the key on the drivers side, not the passenger or the boot. I was in a rush to get to work so i left it and took the wifes car.

Ive had this happen on previous cars and have alway been able to gain entry with the key. Any ideas before i start smashing windows? :mad:

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
All I can think of is a completely flat battery. Unusual for a 9G so perhaps as you've hinted, may be a drivers door only issue.

Interesting that the key in door method also needs electric power and isn't mechanical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I can think of is a completely flat battery. Unusual for a 9G so perhaps as you've hinted, may be a drivers door only issue.

Interesting that the key in door method also needs electric power and isn't mechanical.
A Flat battery crossed my mind but i find it ridiculous that i cant gain entry via the doors if this is the case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kremman,

What do you know about deadlocking the car via the fob? Could it be i have accidentally double clicked the lock button and the car battery has gone flat?

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I don't have that level of knowledge.

Being a 9G you must still be covered by AA Hondacare and I'd call them out.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
The key should be mechanical and work even when the batteries flat. There isn't a keyhole on passenger door or tailgate. Is the led on the dash flashing ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello it was happening once for me, i had left the car with park lights on..
could not open. i opened with the key, but alarm went off and start lock came on.. it was flat battery. did not know that the battery was bad.. should be some warnings before it runs flat! Batteries only last a few years

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too as it's in the 9G section.

I'll shift it >>>>>>>>>>
Doh, my bad.

My suspicion is i have deadlocked the car and then the battery went flat. Im going to jack the car up tomorrow and try and get to an accessible positive feed from the battery - ie the starter. Ill test he battery voltage to confirm and then i can put a charger on this point.

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
I am sure you should always deadlock the car. This should not run down the battery unless I am confused by what you wrote (apologies in advance).

Back to the issue at hand, the battery of either the keyfob (even the spare) are dead (this can happen) or the car battery is dead.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers
M

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am sure you should always deadlock the car. This should not run down the battery unless I am confused by what you wrote (apologies in advance).

Back to the issue at hand, the battery of either the keyfob (even the spare) are dead (this can happen) or the car battery is dead.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers
M
I had no idea what deadlocking was until today. I must had inadvertently DL'd the car and somehow (and not related) the battery ran flat. Thats the only reasonable explanation i can think of for my situation.

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
That cant be true on the 8th gen. I dont even have a battery in my car and I lock with the key in door without any problems

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I couldn't get in my car either when I was in the same position.

Turns out I was just being a little silly... For some reason I was turning the key to the right??? But of course, it should be turned to the left and when I did that, the door unlocked and I could open it.

Might not be why yours isn't unlocking, but worth checking the small things!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I couldn't get in my car either when I was in the same position.

Turns out I was just being a little silly... For some reason I was turning the key to the right??? But of course, it should be turned to the left and when I did that, the door unlocked and I could open it.

Might not be why yours isn't unlocking, but worth checking the small things!
I think i tried both ways but i could be wrong.... or should i say 'i bloody hope im wrong!'

thanks and good point!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts