2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has done 23,000 miles. The dealer says the brake disks and the pads should be replaced! This seems rather quick from new? Anybody got similar experience or is there something strange about my motor?
I may replace them myself. I can't find a Haynes manual or similar! Can anybody give any guidance on a manual or undertaking the job?
regards Trevor

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pads may be worn, but I just had mine done at 25K during a service and I am very hard on them, but not the discs done.

Honda dealers LOVE to change discs, funny enough if you make a fuss it suddenly doesn't seem so urgent and they back off. I think its an easy part to change, cheap to buy but with a hefty margin put on top. It was just the same with my Accord, especially when they knew it was a company car so the bills were paid for.

I would go in and ask them what is the current disc thickness measurement and what is the specification wear limit, I bet they won't be able to answer and will play down the need for them, nothing to stop you popping a wheel off and putting a calliper gauge on it either. At the end of the day they are a business with financial targets.

When it happened to me the 2nd time with my Accord I got suspicious because every other car I had owned the discs lasted the lifetime of the car, or at least 90k, not every flaming 20K!!! - Disc wear a bit but thats what the pads are supposed to do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sillygoose thank for the post. My experience is the same. I did ask what the thichness was - they said the front disks were worn to 28.5 mm, the minimum being 28 mm and the pads were 70% worn. They also said that the disks were grooved and that is why they noticed the wear? I asked what the minimum pad thickness is. They didn't give me a direct reply. I said I didn't have the time to have them replaced at the moment. [I needed the car in the next few hours]. They are to contact me in the next 14 days for possible replacement! I wonder what the new thickness of disk and pads are?
regards Trevor

·
Registered
827 Posts
Strange. The thickness should be 28mm new ... and the minimum is 26 or 26.5mm (differs from one website to the other).

·
Registered
346 Posts
As a general rule then disks should last 2 sets of pads. Honda used to have a 'life of car' policy for disks but had to start using more aggressive pads to meet EU drivers preferences.

When my Accord was serviced @24k they said 6k until a brake change and they did both pad & disk, didn't complain as its a fleet car but was very shocked. Had it been my own car then I'd have wanted them to be measured infront of me before I accepted a disk change at 30k.

Changing pads and disks is a very easy job. You'll need the torque
Spec for the calliper fist bolts so you'll need a manual of 'how to' but apart from that if you're half competent with cars you'll be ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.