2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Trying to reset the SRS light on my 2007 Gen3 CR-V and puzzled over the MES connector that I've read you need to short out to clear it.

All the documents I've read (including the Honda service manual) and the videos I've seen indicate the MES connector is a bright yellow 2-pin plug in the fuse box. My fuse box has a bright yellow plug but it's 4-pin, so don't want to go shorting the wrong ones!

Anyone been here before and can point me the right way please?! :beer:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the info :beer:

I'm fairly sure that was the connector I had out the other night (it's upside down in the car) - but it was four pin and not two like the documents suggest. Considering it's an official Honda doc I can't imagine it's wrong, so I'll recheck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I found the connector - it was right at the top of the fuse box per the diagram above (it's not upside down).

Was a bit of a pig to get it out and even moreso to see the airbag light on the dash whilst trying to insert the paperclip at the right time (2 person job makes this a lot easier).

Reset the system and the airbag light came straight back on, so guess I have a genuine fault somewhere, now the fun part to track it down... I suspect it's the wiring under the driver's seat as it stretches badly when moving the seat back and forth (would explain why the cables were just hanging down under the seat when I bought the car).

Have read about shorting out a couple of pins on the OBD connector to flash a code up, that'll be my next action.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MES Reset not working - ideas?

My dad recently bought a used 2007 CRV (Gen3) and a few days later, when I was driving it, I realised that the SRS light was on steady.
I got the workshop manual and reviewed how to check and reset the SRS light, to see if I could fix before having to send to the garage.
I've been trying for 3 days now, and the SRS reset procedure doesn't work. The light never blinks when the key is turned on (not start). MES is shorted and held, the ABS light comes off, the engine light comes off, and nothing from the SRS. Even after 30seconds.
What am I doing wrong, or what else should I check first?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The light never blinks when the key is turned on (not start). MES is shorted and held, the ABS light comes off, the engine light comes off, and nothing from the SRS. Even after 30seconds.
What am I doing wrong, or what else should I check first?
This guide should work:

have someone assist for watching the light whilst you're under the steering wheel. Getting the timing right doing it alone isn't easy.

If you short the pin and turn the ignition ON but don't get any airbag light then could be a bad ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did use that guide. It was my primary reference.
I didn't use a paper clip. I used some long lead telecom wires so that I could sit comfortably and see the SRS light while holding the wires. But I made sure that it had good contact, checked several times.

My issue is that when I'm holding the wire shorted (paperclip inserted) and I turn the car ON, the SRS light just stays on. No blink so that I could do the open and short sequence to reset the light. In other words, I followed the video directly until 1:48, and then never progressed as the SRS light never went off, as it did in 1:52. So that's why I'm wondering if there is anything I may be missing, or should check.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you're missing anything. The fact the light isn't going out indicates to me it's not detecting your short. Your method with the telecom wire should be ok but to rule it out try with a paperclip instead anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I found the connector - it was right at the top of the fuse box per the diagram above (it's not upside down).

Was a bit of a pig to get it out and even moreso to see the airbag light on the dash whilst trying to insert the paperclip at the right time (2 person job makes this a lot easier).

Reset the system and the airbag light came straight back on, so guess I have a genuine fault somewhere, now the fun part to track it down... I suspect it's the wiring under the driver's seat as it stretches badly when moving the seat back and forth (would explain why the cables were just hanging down under the seat when I bought the car).

Have read about shorting out a couple of pins on the OBD connector to flash a code up, that'll be my next action.
Hi, is it a new plug with 2 wires you found or the same one you'd found earlier with 4 wires? If it is a new one, where is it? I also found one with 4 wires and was unable to reset, not sure if it's the right plug.
thx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, is it a new plug with 2 wires you found or the same one you'd found earlier with 4 wires? If it is a new one, where is it? I also found one with 4 wires and was unable to reset, not sure if it's the right plug.
thx
Definitely only two pin and yellow that you're looking for and is tucked away right at the top of the fuse board next to the pedals (RHD), you really need to get under there and reach up high with a torch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it closer to the console or to toward the door? and which pedal are you referring to? parking brake or gas/brake? In a way, how far is it from the 4 pin connector your original found? My is an 08 LHD so I have to guess the location based on your info.

thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
srs airbag Honda CRV

Hello brother

J have same problem with my CRV 2007 2.4 L M/T, The SRS indicator keep steady ON when the start key at ON position.
I did the above suggestion to reset but, no result. The light keep ON whatever the cable connected or not is not effecting the light.
before make the above excercisess I have brought this failure the the local Honda dealer where they did the HDS (Honda diagnostic System) test with no definitive result, but the mechanic suggest to replace the SRS module with the new one witch cost about US600.

Is the other any suggestion ?.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
srs airbag Honda CRV

Hello brother

J have same problem with my CRV 2007 2.4 L M/T, The SRS indicator keep steady ON when the start key at ON position.
I did the above suggestion to reset but, no result. The light keep ON whatever the cable connected or not is not effecting the light.
before make the above excercisess I have brought this failure the the local Honda dealer where they did the HDS (Honda diagnostic System) test with no definitive result, but the mechanic suggest to replace the SRS module with the new one witch cost about US600.

Is the other any suggestion ?.

Thanks
Hi having same problem now. How did you fix yours. Thx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.