2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Courtesy of a T**T in an old banger this morning I have a hair line crack in my panoramic roof! The stone that his car chucked was huge and surprised it did not do more damage but now i am left with a crack in glass why is it when every you buy a new car it gets peppered by stones.. My question is can I fill it with glass bond as i have some left from filling a chip on my wind screen to stop it getting worse, as its only about 1 inch long and about 1 mil deep i think it not worth replacing. Will post a pick when I leave work.
Thanks R

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Unfortunately if you have to claim Im under the impression most insurance companies dont cover the glass roof. Perhaps ask auto glass?

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
Might stop the crack spreading for a short while but not a long term solution.

Lucky the roof glass is laminated like the windscreen or you could have had a head full of glass.

As Guitaralmond said give auto glass a phone to see if you need to claim insurance/glass part of policy.

The roof costs a fortune to replace, had one in my work few weeks ago due to storm damage think it costs around £450ish for the glass alone.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Be careful with it, because AFIK the glass roof forms part of the structure of the Civic, more so than the windscreen. So a pothole or bump could make it much bigger very quickly.

Must have been a big ol' stone to crack that!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Pretty sure it would not be covered through glass cover on your insurance.

Best bet would be to thoroughly read your insurance documents and phone up your insurers to be double sure.

As others have said, the panaramic roof does count towards the the structural integrity of the car and any damage to it isn't good. Best thing would be a replacement.

Seeing as its a "hairline crack", you should be able to get away by filling it in and hoping that it doesn't spread. Just follow the instructions on the repair kit.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
From a question on an another forum

Recently, a crack appeared in the glass panaramic roof of my 2009 Honda. I booked the car in at the local Honda dealer who took pictures and agreed there was no sign of impact near the crack. I rang them today after the Christmas break to be advised that the repair is not covered under the warranty. I was advised to contact Honda Customer Services to discuss the matter. On doing this immediately, I was advised that as a goodwill gesture, Honda would pay for the new glass roof (£700) but that I would be expected to pay the fitting cost of £450. I challenged this vehemently - my argument is that the glass roof must have been faulty to have cracked. My Honda dealer agrees with me on this but Customer Services have 'made a decision' that it is not the fault of the factory fitting so they will not pay the full amount. Under no circumstances will I accept this decision. Please advise - is this suitable for the samll claims court? What action would you suggestPosted Jan 2012

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Alot of other car makers dont include the glass roof in something they cover. Im pretty sure that astra one which stretches high (panoramic) has the same issue with it not being covered. I bet thats a pig to replace!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My road is a 30 mph zone extending to a 60 mph zone he was impatient and decided to over take in the 30 zone in stead of waiting for me to speed up and trust me I don't drive slow! but I abide by the speed limit in 30 zones this was 50 metres from the start of the 60 zone. So because he could not stick to the speed limit I have a crack in my roof hence why he is a T**T!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Recently, a crack appeared in the glass panaramic roof of my 2009 Honda. I booked the car in at the local Honda dealer who took pictures and agreed there was no sign of impact near the crack. I rang them today after the Christmas break to be advised that the repair is not covered under the warranty. I was advised to contact Honda Customer Services to discuss the matter. On doing this immediately, I was advised that as a goodwill gesture, Honda would pay for the new glass roof (£700) but that I would be expected to pay the fitting cost of £450. I challenged this vehemently - my argument is that the glass roof must have been faulty to have cracked. My Honda dealer agrees with me on this but Customer Services have 'made a decision' that it is not the fault of the factory fitting so they will not pay the full amount. Under no circumstances will I accept this decision. Please advise - is this suitable for the samll claims court? What action would you suggestPosted Jan 2012
Sounds a good offer to me. Unfortunately glass can crack and it's a chance you take with the panoramic roof, better £450 that £1150

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
luckly managed to speak to auto glass man that was repairing a car in the works car park and he said it would be ok and injected some resin in the crack and its almost invisable all for free!! he said he loved the car and would do it as a favour, my lucky day..

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeh me too, my clutch pedel squeeks and clicks now but sprayed some silicone lube on it and squeek has gone click still present, will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the suggestions about auto glass guy's.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeh its nice when things work out as normally they don't! The guy that sorted it lives local as well so might keep in touch with him as it will always be handy to know someone like that. I also know a guy that does dent removal and get mates rates comes in handy for super market dings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.