2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum the names Sammy just thought I would share my experience. I used this forum to diagnose my cracked manifold, on my civic 2.2 ictdi 2007. Strong smell off burnt diesel in the cabin on start up an slow moving traffic. Got a friend to check and confirm my suspicions, after he confirmed it was cracked. I read on the forum that It was covered under extended warranty think it was 7 years or 125k miles (mine being 106k) what ever came first. So thought i would chance my arm called my local dear with no luck being told it would cost close to a grand :surprise: so not really happy with that result, I thought I would give Honda customer service a call, who sent an email to head office. So a day later I received an email that said if they can confirm it in the dealership they will replace it free of charge :grin2: went on Friday past took about an hour to confirm and they are replacing it on Monday absolutely free of charge, also give my car the once over while they where checking the manifold. This is my first Honda and with service like this, I can say it will not be my last. Hope this helps someone

Cheers
Sammy

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Nice!

I've started to notice fumes in the cabin the last few mornings after startup. Just emailed Honda to see if they would entertain me (118k miles, 10 years old, no Honda service history).

Can't hurt to try right!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mattj,

Don't see why they wouldn't, the guy from Honda said as long as the car hasn't done over 125k they will cover it if it's at fault. Hopefully you get sorted

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Mattj,

Don't see why they wouldn't, the guy from Honda said as long as the car hasn't done over 125k they will cover it if it's at fault. Hopefully you get sorted
Thanks, fingers crossed. I'm not 100% sure it is actually cracked but I'm sure they'd find out.

Wonder if it is in Honda Dealer's best interests to do it and find the fault? If Honda UK foot the bill, do Honda Dealer benefit? Not sure how the relationship works

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks, fingers crossed. I'm not 100% sure it is actually cracked but I'm sure they'd find out.

Wonder if it is in Honda Dealer's best interests to do it and find the fault? If Honda UK foot the bill, do Honda Dealer benefit? Not sure how the relationship works
I believe the dealers would be fully reimbursed by Honda UK for the time and parts in doing it. As to how much, if any, profit they make on those jobs I'm not sure, but it can't be much if you take how many dealers have told people it will cost them and not offering to do it for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to sure how it works either bud, but when they did find it was cracked, the girl from the service desk said they needed to wait until they got the get go for Honda to start the work.

Hope you get sorted mate. Keep me up to date I would like to know the out come

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Well I had a reply from Honda who have told me to go to dealer first. Might do that as they're only a few miles from home. I don't actually think it is cracked it's not had a smell for the last few days so I think last time was regular fumes!

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

We are sorry to learn of the issues you have with the your Honda Civic.

The best people to assist in this situation are our qualified technicians based within our Honda dealership network. They will be happy inspect the vehicle and advise what might be causing the issue. The standard warranty for your vehicle is 3 years and if at any point Honda has offered any extended warranty regarding this exact issue the dealership will be aware. If this is the case, they can raise a warranty claim on your behalf. The claim will reach our warranty department and the dealership will be able to keep you updated regarding the progress and future steps.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I was not that lucky, i went to my local Honda dealer in Croatia and they sad that my extended warranty has expired, so they wouldn't replace manifold free of charge. My Civic is 2.2 iCTDI 2008.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Well I went to Honda and they want to do check it but it'll cost whatever it costs in labour to determine if there's a fault, and they weren't hopeful a car that's 11 years old with 120k miles on the clock with zero Honda history in the last 7 years would be covered anyway.

Nevertheless I think I'd like to determine if the exhaust manifold has an issue. With all the bad press about diesel fumes I'm keen not to kill myself.

When I start the car in the morning it does have a whiff in the cabin, only when the blowers are on (i.e. defrosting on the drive), but it could be that it's just pulling in exhaust fumes.

Is there anyway for me to determine myself if the exhaust manifold has any issue? On my wifes car when that had a cracked manifold you could tell from the noise but this doesn't seem any different to normal.

Cheers

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
Open the bonnet and peek down the back of the engine whilst someone starts it from cold.

Also pop off the engine cover and peek down at the injectors, any black goo at the bottom is an indication that an injector/seal is leaking. Which also smells nasty.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Open the bonnet and peek down the back of the engine whilst someone starts it from cold.

Also pop off the engine cover and peek down at the injectors, any black goo at the bottom is an indication that an injector/seal is leaking. Which also smells nasty.
Thank you, I'll have a look over the weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts