2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
3,964 Posts
Yeah, if the roof has been repaired then apart from the possibility of something dropped on it, it's been 'over' and I would heed Das' 'worry' as above.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow that aint good, like some lasses make up i have seen nowadays. Thats caked on, never seen that before.

Looks like continental drift.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The car could of suffered with extensive Hail damage and someone was a bit generous with the filler.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeah i would be pretty hacked off too, but jeez thats bad, bodyshop who did it should be banned from working on cars.

For me depends on the extent of damage underneath and how it needed repaired in the first place.

Would need to know before i even bothered, but that amount of filler suggests it was extensive, if you want to fix to sell then fine but again for me, i would either get it done properly and say nowt or tidy up and i would feel compelled to mention it, because i would be gutted to buy and it happened again.

Is it not possible this is the scenario, glass roof was broken somehow, whichever way, accident or just plain old damage. The body shop could not get the new sunroof to fit bang on with the back and so filled it.

Or sunroof was fine but the rear part of the roof was damaged and i suppose filled to make level with the front sunroof, if this makes sense.

Either way there is no getting away from the fact its been done badly, no point saying otherwise, as mentioned take it to somewhere reputable and ask what their opinion is as far as if it can be fixed and how much.

If to expensive, sell on, move on but clearly this would significantly lower your resale price.

I would throttle any bodyshop that did that to mines.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Should be simple, remove... rust treat, refill, and repaint.

If you want to save money, get a very cheap paint job, and then put a WRAP over the roof, either black or carbon effect. That'll look okay then.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've previously said that I dont' know what to replace my current top of the range Civic MK9 Civic with because it is such a good car. Don't know for certain but I believe you have to take a glass rood with the latest models of this specification. This has convinced me to stay away from glass roofs.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,722 Posts
that is a shocking amount of filler and looking closely the paint finish is diabolical, it needs to be sanded back to bare metal and started again , expect to pay at least £400+ for a bodyshop to sort out.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I've previously said that I dont' know what to replace my current top of the range Civic MK9 Civic with because it is such a good car. Don't know for certain but I believe you have to take a glass rood with the latest models of this specification. This has convinced me to stay away from glass roofs.
Its not a glass roof, that's the point of this thread. it looks like a bad filler job.

Feel for the OP.

Ian.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Blimey! wasn't expecting those pictures, sorry to hear of your bad luck with that.
I suppose what would concern me is what it's covering, I would imagine the roof contributes quite a bit to the structure of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
The car's described as an se, which if it is, would have a steel roof. Quite possibly something dropped onto the roof or suffered vandal damage.

As already suggested, pop it over to a body shop and get it re-finished. (well worth having a hpi check first which would indicate it might have been damaged over an above /merely a dent in the roof)

·
Super Moderator
2,055 Posts
but that isn't a glass roof its painted metal

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
That's the worst bodge I've seen in about 20 years - the last was a "welded" up floor in a Mk2 Ford Fiesta. Instead of actually welding it, pieces of sheet metal (or probably cut up old bonnets), were pot riveted onto the remaining good metal over quite large rusty wholes on the floor pan and the rear sills. Then filler was rolled into long "worms" and placed around the edge of the metal and shaped here and there to basically look like a pro welder had done it properly. This was followed by a generous covering of waxoyl / under seal 0:)

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Well, when metro's and the like were current, 2 lads who worked at the factory where I did, part time they bought cat/ right offs from auction, repaired and sold them on.

One of their more notorious efforts was putting together 2 scrapped minis- a front half and back half. One of the lads who also worked there actually bought it and ran it for some while.

Bought a montego off them seeing the panel damage before and after and ran the thing for years. They did 'forget' to fit a radiator fan (quality work the lads') but fair do's the car temp only ever ran into the red once in a traffic jam coming off a motorway of all places. Happy days:laugh2:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts