2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Earlier, I was driving away when my side view mirror was hit by another car going the opposite way. It got me worried since the mirror fell off and the case holding the mirror folded a bit.

The annoying bit is, the other driver just drove away without checking what he has hit. :mad2:

I pushed it back, and put the mirror back on and it still seems to be working fine. However, there was a crack on the signal light on the case. I tried to touch it, but it feels smooth, so it just seems a cracked clear plastic.

I wanted to know, is this a cause of concern? I'm a bit worried that the crack would get bigger.

Anybody had a similar experience? Whaat fix did you do? Or did you just leave it?

Lastly, is it possible to replace just the signal light in the folding mirror?

Appreciate your help. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
yes you can just replace the signal bit they are on flebay at £46,i know they are not cheap and depending on the crack water will eventually get in causing it to go green and possibly stop working.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
You can just buy the signal light, just be prepared as Honda will charge a lot lol. If you want to leave it the other concern is that mould might grow inside. The other thing you should check is if the mirror heating works as well as the bump may have knocked some things out of place.
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

I wonder how much the whole folding mirror would cost.

I will try to take a photo to show everyone.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello all

Here are the pictures of the crack on my drivers side mirror signal light. Should I get worried?

Here is a closer picture.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
To be honest mate, for a crack that small I'd leave it be! The unit is available from Honda and I'd be content at waiting for it to fail, if it ever does, before replacing it.
The reason I say that is the plastic piece contains the bulb as a single unit, and it's about £50 for a new one!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
id leave it , looks like water wont even get into it.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew I was being a bit paranoid. Decided to leave it be at the moment.

Thanks all.

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
I have exactly the same issue and need to replace mine too!

silt has got in behind the lense giving it a smoked like too which is a right pain so i would get it fixed as soon as possible as it will start to look unsightly like mine :(

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
on note i have taken mine apart and there are only 3 dimley lit leds . how can we make it as bright as the ones on vws and mercedes?

·
Never tap!
792 Posts
I would leave it mate, when someone hit mine it took a chunk of plastic out.
Everything still works as it should though so i'm lucky.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
on note i have taken mine apart and there are only 3 dimley lit leds . how can we make it as bright as the ones on vws and mercedes?
No idea how accessible but could fit higher wattage LEDs in there?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Over a week since I had the crack, I can see water inside the plastic. The lights ares till working, but am concerned that it won't at some point.

So decided to get the signal light replaced. Wish me luck in doing this!

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Nothing to worry about that. Mine had a massive crack down the full length of the plastic for 12 months and no problem. Managed to get one from another Civinfo user for £20.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing to worry about that. Mine had a massive crack down the full length of the plastic for 12 months and no problem. Managed to get one from another Civinfo user for £20.
A friend told me I can get a clear plastic cover that will act as a sealant on the crack. He said it's available from Halfords.

But I wanted to get rid of the water first before doing it. Is the side mirror easy to dismantle?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Mine was cracked like that for a year.. with no problems.

Eventually the dealer said it was a MOT failure (light stopped working) and I had it replaced for around £45.00.

The whole mirror assembly is around £350!!

Easy to dismantle though.. carefully pull the mirror out, then it's two clips holding the two covers together, the light just clips in/out..

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Mine has a small hole in it due to being hit a few weeks ago, am going to put lamin X film over the lense that I have left over from tinting my fog lights.
Just need a dry day (some hope)

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Think I only paid about 30 quid for one of these, was quoted about £450 for the entire wing mirror unit.

Maybe abit late now but you could try painting over the crack with some clear coat sealer or nail varnish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts