2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s people thoughts and experience on crankcase breathers?
Is it worth it to stop contaminated/oily air going back trough the TB and eventually gunning it up? Plus meaning only clean, cooler air going into the engine.
Are the small filters any good? Or is a catch can set up better?

Cheers
Dave

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Catch can if I were to go down that route but personally I wouldn't change the oem set up.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll more than likely stay OEM but interested in to why people do it TBH, or don't do it.

Cheers

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Once upon a time with the ford Rocam engine, I tried the bolt on breather which worked fine.. Some old boy guru told me though that for rally/road racing he would always use a catch can, as this is a more proven method to stop oil mist re-circing in the TB..
But like Flash meister states, I'd just keep it OEM if I was you.

Reactions: Bones126

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once upon a time with the ford Rocam engine, I tried the bolt on breather which worked fine.. Some old boy guru told me though that for rally/road racing he would always use a catch can, as this is a more proven method to stop oil mist re-circing in the TB..
But like Flash meister states, I'd just keep it OEM if I was you.
Yeah, looking that way tbh. It seems there are no significant gains from doing it so will be, I'm all for accumulating little gains but they need to not cause other issues.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers @Alanok, interesting reading and bit confusing to when you read the arguments.
From what the report say it should be a closed system, how true this is I don't know. But the argument that that rocker cover is vented to the air intake which is not a closed system I believe to be true. So the small filter has no affect on a pressurised system which if you agree with this argument is not there in the first place.
From what I can read from it is, filter will allow damp in, but so could an open cone air filter. Admittedly further to travel. advantages of the filter is preventing misted/oily air back into the intake system weakening the the mixture.

Think I'll leave be until I fully understand the closed system theory.

Thank for the link though, good reading.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Best of both worlds would be to plumb a catch can into the system so it captures the oil vapour beofre it enters the inlet manifold.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what I’m thinking, but then read about the pipe attached to the oem pipe is heated to burn the vapour/condensation off before it enters the intake pipe. So if that’s happening is it as bad as first thought, but again it’s heated air going into the intake side when you want cold air which is where the filter or catch can come in favour. At least with a catch can and longer pipe route the air would/should have cooled down.

Still not getting my head around the closed system part, I think it reverse the pcv side rather than vent side?.

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
I'm a bit tempted by the catch can after seeing the amount of blow by crap in the pipework and intake. It would be a baffled one.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know where to get good one from?
I assume they feed it back into the intake for emissions reasons if it’s not a closed loop, which I cants see it is.
The only thing I can think of is feed8ng it 8nto the intake causes a vacuum and draws the fumes out of the rocker cover.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Personally catch can or leave it as-is. I have no issues with mine being vented back into the manifold, use decent oil, service regularly and blowby is minimal; TB is still pristine.

I'd definitely fit a catch can if I was going FI however.

The little filter would likely result in fumes entering the cabin and smelling, especially with plenty of vtec ;)

Reactions: Bones126

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears not many do it tbh, from what I have seen, most do it the PCV side and that still gets connected back into the intake.
For what it's worth, I'll leave be. And agree that regular oil changes is the answer .

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
@Bones126 I've bought a baffled catch can and will be installing it by the pcv valve. I'll fix the can on the windscreen scuttle above/behind the plug cover and run the pipes around the outside of the pulleys. The less oil I have coating the intake manifold and valves the better :smile3:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice one, look forward to seeing it fitted, I'm still toying with the idea and the theory make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice one @flashy. look forward to seeing it fitted. Where did you get the catch can from?

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers, will take a look.

Reactions: flashy

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Brilliant green highlights there.. made me chuckle

Reactions: flashy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts