2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually located my oil leak to the above pulley seal.
Do I need the tool to get the pulley off the car or is there another way. If not does anyone where I can get the right tool from please.

Thanks in advance
Lee

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,865 Posts
Yes, the pulley has to come off to replace the seal. The pulley bolt can be really tight!

There is a 50mm locking tool available to hold the pulley/engine from turning while the bolt is undone, but even this didn't work for me... I had to run a breaker bar from the socket to the floor and then operate the starter to get the bolt undone (mine is a diesel and I had the injectors out, fortunately).

If you're anywhere near Ludlow I can lend you my Laser locking tool and a 6-point 19mm socket.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the pulley has to come off to replace the seal. The pulley bolt can be really tight!

There is a 50mm locking tool available to hold the pulley/engine from turning while the bolt is undone, but even this didn't work for me... I had to run a breaker bar from the socket to the floor and then operate the starter to get the bolt undone (mine is a diesel and I had the injectors out, fortunately).

If you're anywhere near Ludlow I can lend you my Laser locking tool and a 6-point 19mm socket.
I'm in the north east mate. Would there be any chance of posting it too me or is it not worth the risk. I am getting a garage to do it but they do not have the tool and they would rather do it using the tool if they or myself can get one.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,865 Posts
PM replied to.

For info (of others) my locking tool is a Laser 3760 which fits the diesel and I'm fairly certain it also fits the K-series. But you can probably lock the engine much easier on a petrol (in the absense of a DMF) by simply putting it in gear and applying the footbrake.

Laser 3760 Crankshaft Pulley Tool | eBay

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,865 Posts
or you could buy the honda tool and use a 19mm socket

Buying the laser tool would be so much cheaper!

You'd still need the 19mm socket though, whether Honda tool or Laser. Best if this is a 6-point type, given the torque needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts