2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car makes a creaking sound from the rear when it is secured (handbrake on) and I get into it. My local Honda garage said this is normal. Is this true? Does anyone else get this? I do not get the documented 'creaking when first driving off in a cold car'. And lastly - no am not a fatty ;)

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Try applying the handbrake one more notch (incase it is moving a bit) or spray some WD on any rubber bushes at the rear or the car.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Mine does this if the hand brake isn't on tightly.

I prefer to have handbrake on a little looser and live with the creak.

My old IMA Civic did have creaky rear bushes though - a common problem on the Gen 7.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
my car was doing the same since i bought it. pulled the handbrake a bit tighter and it would stop. although just had new discs and pads fitted to the back and i havnt heard the noise since :)

·
Banned
7,705 Posts
Mines does this when parked on a hill, it's nothing to worry about. If I pull the handbrake tighter the creaking stops

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
My drive is potholed and gravel (I must do something about it) as I pull away in the morning it creaks like a creaky thing. Just normal I think.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! I need new discs and pads on the rear and will see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D i have this exact same problem had it for ages it's driving me nuts my mate has it every now and then but mine is constant i asked on another site and they told me to lose weight :( so im glad that this is normal and im not the only one.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
my car was doing the same since i bought it. pulled the handbrake a bit tighter and it would stop. although just had new discs and pads fitted to the back and i havnt heard the noise since :)

I always thought that cars with rear disc brakes used a central drum brake for the parking brake....

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
No they used to on older cars. Now the cable attaches to a lever at the back of the piston on the caliper & twists it out when pulling the cable. Thats why a piston re-wind tool is needed to fit new pads to the rear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts