2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced their cruise control hesitate (if that's the right word!)?

Occasionally when driving with cruise control on, regardless of speed, it feels like the car is breaking, which I know it isn't (no brake light when it did it in the dark and cruise control remained on). The speed drops but cruise control remains active, and then speeds up to the set speed after a few seconds.

I'm trying to pin it on the cruise control, but it could maybe be the engine, although I hope not. Car is a 2012 2.2 I-DTEC.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,043 Posts
Sounds like what it does on ups and downs to keep it at the set speed.

If on the flat then unusual

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah is when it's flat, usually motorway when it's been on for a little while that I experience it. Is really strange!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Is it happening in both econ and normal mode?
Econ mode alters some functionality of the cruise control, including being more permissive about slowing (Will allow ~3MPH Below target speed)

May be worth trying in normal mode, and see if that rectifies the issue.

The 9G Cruise control has no connection to the brakes, so any slowing is due to the engine - are you in a cruising gear? Being on a flat, you should only have gentle engine braking in 6th (Well, is the case on 1.4 - I know diesels are usually better for engine braking)

Other than that, I'm not too sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

I only ever drive in normal mode, as I find it uses just as much fuel as eco, but maybe that's just me?

I only ever use cruise control in 6th when in a 70mph limit, otherwise it's turned off unless a long 40mph road. Thinking about it, I've only ever had it in 6th, but I'd put it down to not using it too often otherwise.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,406 Posts
My Mk9 does this. You may think the road is flat but the car/cruise control thinks otherwise and if it starts to run slightly past your cruise set speed even by 1mph it shuts off power to coast which to you feels like its braking but is just engine braking. Once speed dropped a bit power comes in and off it goes again. Does feel abit weird though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear someone else has had something similar. I've had the car for 3 years now and it's the first time I've noticed it happening like this, really weird!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
My Mk9 does this. You may think the road is flat but the car/cruise control thinks otherwise and if it starts to run slightly past your cruise set speed even by 1mph it shuts off power to coast which to you feels like its braking but is just engine braking. Once speed dropped a bit power comes in and off it goes again. Does feel abit weird though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This sounds like your answer - so not a problem at all - just what it does :wink3:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts