2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Thanks for checking out this thread.

I have a 2012 2.2 DTEC in the UK. I first noticed this problem after taking out my boot/trunk light to see what the bulb fitting was, I don't know if it is related.:frown2:
When attempting to engage the cruise control on the next day's commute the steering wheel buttons did not have the effect I would have expected, i.e. a target speed displayed on the dashboard. I then noticed that the small speedo cruise control symbol was not displayed. When I pressed the menu button which normally toggles between CC, limiter & normal it only light the LIM symbol or nothing. :surprise:

Continual pressing has the same effect, just a toggle between LIM and nothing, it doesn't even take 2 presses to get to LIM as it would have done previously.

I have check (visually) the fuses indicated in the owners manual to be related to CC, fuse 19 & 20 under the drivers dash and they appear OK, I'm afraid I don't have a meter to test them.

Other points that may be relevant are that the car is due for a major service, it has done 72K and was serviced just over 12 months ago, and as this was a service before buying, it was probably the bearest of services.:wink3:

I haven't noticed any fault indication (although I'm not sure where to look) or any other system not working.

I hope someone can help as this is the 1st breakdown/fault i have had with this car so far & I feel a little inadequate for not being able to solve it.:grin2:

Thanks Again
NeilV

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuse confusion

Any fuses in the engine bay for the cruise?
That's a good call and thanks for the thought. I think I looked in the engine bay first because I didn't know about the ones under the dash until I looked in the manual. It took me ages to figure out which ones to check because they are listed as ACC in the manual but I could even have checked the wrong ones! :surprise:

I used to have a Haynes manual for previous cars (this was pre-internet, yes I'm really that old!) but I can't seem to find one for the Mk 9, or any really good technical sites.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No answers!!??

I can't believe 150 people have read this but only one person had anything to say. It's not in the wrong place is it? Am I unlucky enough to be the only person this has ever happened to? :surprise:

Is there anyone out there who has some sort of wiring diagram or manual that could confirm the fuses concerned, I looked at my owners manual and deducted that it was 19 & 20 (I think, it's been a couple of weeks now) under the drivers side dash. I think this is listed as ACC, it's the only ones that looked likely although I'm not sure what all the fuses are that have a book symbol beside them.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I've got a newer civic so can't help much, but----

1. Does the boot light still work, if so ,unlikely to have blown a fuse.
2.. To check fuses, they are tiny little things, you really need a multimeter, either remove fuse and check continuity , or with fuse in place you can check if there is a voltage both sides of the fuse, which saves pulling the fuses out. You may need ignition on to check all voltages,
3 . This may be irrelavent (can't get that spelling right!) , but look here http://www.civinfo.com/forum/genera...ter-reversing-light-bulbs-changed-solved.html
I don't know if you have a clock fuse on your civic, but worth a read.

It could be just coincidence that your CC doesn't work after you had been fiddling with your boot lamp, good luck anyway.
I would imagine nobody has had this problem so that's why you haven't had many replies, but please post a solution when you find your fault, might save someone else tearing their hair out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you get this sorted NeilV? I don't personally know of the solution, but when I read that it happened after checking a bulb, the first thing I thought of was a fuse. The thread that bill ericay linked to above was interesting to see what simply replacing a bulb can do sometimes.

Technical manuals/guides (and I think wiring diagrams) are available on Honda's Maris website, but you need to pay for access if you're an average joe like you and me. It's a shame there isn't an easy and cheap way of viewing service manuals and wiring diagrams for modern Honda's. Like you said, it would be nice if Haynes released a manual for the Civic Mk9 but I haven't seen anything mentioned about it :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I'm afraid I haven't solved it BUT i haven't actually done anything about it! :frown2:

I can't for the life of me find a guide which will tell me which fuse to check, there's rather a lot to check each one and I can't see anything else which isn't working. Boot light, Ignition barrel light, interior lights, dash lights all seem to be OK. I'll look at fuse 10. I don't have a separate clock, only the one on the iMid so maybe this wouldn't be noticeable but I haven't had a problems starting the car.

I didn't actually remove the boot light bulb, only took the holder out of the trim to see how it was connected.

It is infuriating that the fuse box has numerous book symbols which I can't seem to find and the others have cryptic abbreviations which I can't pin down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved

Hi All,
In case you are following this thread because you have a similar problem or if you've just stumbled across this, I will leave this info in case it helps. As you may see by the title, I have solved the problem. It was caused by a little nut behind the wheel (i.e. ME)

Yes, You've guessed it, I was doing it wrong. For some reason I was convinced that the button labelled Main, just above and to the left of the up, down cancel cluster, toggled between the 3 states (Cruise, Limiter & off) whereas, it actually only toggles between what I will call controlled & off, the mode of control is controlled by the left portion of the circular cruise cluster marked LIM this toggles between Limiter & Cruise Control as I discovered by accident when I pressed it while showing my son the problem on a long drive.

I hope this helps someone help retain some of their hair as I've been pulling mine out.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Woops !:oops:

I must admit I have never had cruise control on a car before this one, so I had a few goes -- which you have to do while driving- before I got the hang of it, sort of !
One of the hardest bits was trying to read the owners manual while trying to set the cruise speed while driving at 70 mph!
(The last line is a feeble joke )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.