2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Cruise Control (merged)

Engine 
19K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  Bungle 
#1 ·
stupid question, how do u work the cruise control? sometimes it works sometimes it dont. u need to switch on cruise main button, and press set? because this does not work all the time.

thanks.

#2 ·
Thats all you do, select cruise and then set, just make sure you are not travelling up or down hill and that you are above 35mph I think.
I must admit I thought it was busted when I first tried it out, but now on motoways I dont think I can drive without it :D

#5 ·
I find I'm using it nearly all the time, especially in 30 or 50mph limit areas, in a 30 limit I just set it to 32/33, in a 50 zone set it to 54/55.

Seems to really improve fuel efficiency when trying to "stick" to the speed limit as your foot is not moving up/down on the pedal even slightly, more green lights etc etc.... :)

#7 ·
basegreen said:
CC is the one thing I "miss" from the other cars i've driven vs mine :(
I've got a black 2.2 SE today and tomorrow while mine is in getting that paintwork sorted on the pillar, the heated leather seats on this one are very nice, especially with our current british summertime out there! ;)

It's got 2800 miles on it and I can't believe how much *looser* the gearbox feels and how much more oooooomph there is on the accelerator compared to mine which has only 400 miles on so far - I presume mine will feel like this one soon :)

#8 ·
kevin_lufc said:
Thats all you do, select cruise and then set, just make sure you are not travelling up or down hill and that you are above 35mph I think.
I must admit I thought it was busted when I first tried it out, but now on motoways I dont think I can drive without it :D
Having just re-read the manual page 272, it's 40kph/25mph :D

#10 ·
I had some initial trouble figuring that out too. Can't say that I know how to operate it now, since I've only had one for test drives... However, as I recall, you have to press the 'down' button on the steering wheel to turn it on. Well, anyway, you're the ones with the manual! Can't be bothered to have a look in there? :roll: :wink: :D

#12 ·
It's the easiest cruise system I've ever used and in my car it works perfectly.

For those new to it or still waiting for the car:-

Press the inner most button (cruise main) to switch the system on.

Once at the desired speed press the down button part of the middle rocker button (Cruise set).

If you touch the brake or clutch at any time the Cruise will deactivate instantly. To resume at you last speed press the up part of the middle rocker switch (Cruise Res). the car will now gently accelerate up to the set speed again.

The right hand button is cancel. This obviously cancels the current cruise selection (same as pressing the brake or clutch). It does not turn the system off. To do that you need to press the Cruise main button again

If you wish to increase or lower this speed while the system is set at a speed you can press either up or down on the Rocker button. You can accelerate whilst in cruise to overtake but once done the car will slow down gradually to the set speed again, so the throttle does not increase the set speed (obvious i know)

The system will not work if you are even slightly on the clutch peddal or brake (I know people who rest thier foot on the clutch while they drive thinking its not sensing it, if the civic can sense even the slightest touch and if it does it wont active the cruise).

#14 ·
Pottsy said:
Nick, when it doesn't work, what happens (or doesn't happen)?
i just press the "CRUISE" button down, and then press set. when it doesn't work its like not pressing the set button and i have full control. i seem to be doing what you guys are doing. i try it at all speeds (over 30mph) and on flat roads too.

#15 ·
Nick said:
Pottsy said:
Nick, when it doesn't work, what happens (or doesn't happen)?
i just press the "CRUISE" button down, and then press set. when it doesn't work its like not pressing the set button and i have full control. i seem to be doing what you guys are doing. i try it at all speeds (over 30mph) and on flat roads too.
Try getting the car to speed then taking your feet entirely away from the peddals just before you press set (maybe gain a couple of MPH over your desired speed first). I know it sounds a bit preaching, but my system is VERY sensetive to my even brushing the clutch peddal.

Failing that, call your dealer as there is obviously a problem with your car if you are doing exactly as I describe. Good luck :)

#16 ·
Sounds like either a faulty system or a dodgy "set" button?
The moment you press the "set" button you should get the 2nd green "cruise" light appear on your dash to show you are in cruise mode.

If it comes on, try then pressing the Cancel button (or brake or clutch) to turn it off and then try pressing "set" again - you should be able to turn it on and off repeatedly like this.

Could the brake or clutch pedals be sticky and maybe telling the system you are touching the pedals sometimes even though you are not?

One for the dealership I suspect...

#18 ·
Only problem I have found is the actual speed that you can use it for, although I think someone said 25mph+, I find that you have to be registering at least 30mph before the system "arms".

#23 ·
Nick said:
im over 25mph, took foot off gas, press CRUISE and then SET and no cruise control. i think im guna talk to my dealer lol
You don't have to take your foot of the gas before you press "Set". Find a long 50mph road with little traffic and try it. keep the left hand cruise button on all the time and then just press the set button, as Pottsy says, did you have 2 green lights?

#24 ·
nope, up until last night i only got the CRUISE MAIN light. but last night it worked after i pressed "SET". i think the problem is sorted. i have a feeling i never released my foot fully of the clutch as i have a tendancy to keep my left foot over the clutch. silly me.

sorry for the trouble

cheers guys :lol:

#25 ·
Nick said:
nope, up until last night i only got the CRUISE MAIN light. but last night it worked after i pressed "SET". i think the problem is sorted. i have a feeling i never released my foot fully of the clutch as i have a tendancy to keep my left foot over the clutch. silly me.

sorry for the trouble

I used to. Bad habit from panicky driving lessons. I find the foot rest is really well positioned to give you that feeling of readiness, but not riding/touching the clutch.

#26 ·
basegreen said:
Nick said:

sorry for the trouble

I used to. Bad habit from panicky driving lessons. I find the foot rest is really well positioned to give you that feeling of readiness, but not riding/touching the clutch.
haha i only been driving yr and 6 months :D
guess i gota start using the foot rest too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.