2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again

I have a problem with my cruise control (unless I am just being stupid - tell me if I am!)

When I press the cruise control button whilst driving, the light on the dash comes on but when I take my foot of the gas, the car slows down as it would usually.

I have never had cruise control before so I don't actually know what is supposed to happen. I am assuming that the car is meant to continue at whatever speed it was going when I set the cruise control. Is this right?

I have read some threads which mention the clutch pedal being slightly pressed but mine isn't (or at least i don't think it is - last time i tried i put my foot underneath the pedal and made sure it was as high as it could be).

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Hi again

I have a problem with my cruise control (unless I am just being stupid - tell me if I am!)

When I press the cruise control button whilst driving, the light on the dash comes on but when I take my foot of the gas, the car slows down as it would usually.

I have never had cruise control before so I don't actually know what is supposed to happen. I am assuming that the car is meant to continue at whatever speed it was going when I set the cruise control. Is this right?

I have read some threads which mention the clutch pedal being slightly pressed but mine isn't (or at least i don't think it is - last time i tried i put my foot underneath the pedal and made sure it was as high as it could be).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Once you've turned it on, this won't set the speed, you need to turn it on and then set it at whatever speed you want.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
First of all press the button which turns on the "Cruise Main" light.
This only activates the system, it doesn't set the speed.

The press "set". A second light will then some on.

A lot of Japanese brand cars do this, I have no idea why..
Probably some kind of safety thing.

I have my system permanently on.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
First of all press the button which turns on the "Cruise Main" light.
This only activates the system, it doesn't set the speed.

The press "set". A second light will then some on.

A lot of Japanese brand cars do this, I have no idea why..
Probably some kind of safety thing.

I have my system permanently on.
I think it's all cars, we have a Mini and a Qashqai with cruise control and they both work like this, my old Mazda did too. Mind you 2 out of 3 there are Japanese lol.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My Astra didn't have a main control switch... I assume it's a safety thing to kill the system entirely... But I think it's a bit odd also, although I do tend to leave mine off when it's not in use :p.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
A press of one button could be a mistake, but a press on two different buttons to set the system- is a positive decision. ??

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
A press of one button could be a mistake, but a press on two different buttons to set the system- is a positive decision. ??
But - I made the first press 3,5 years ago..

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

i to think this is the reason, and they are saying its your choice if you leave it on, but if you crash by accidentally setting the cruise control it aint hondas fault?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
i to think this is the reason, and they are saying its your choice if you leave it on, but if you crash by accidentally setting the cruise control it aint hondas fault?
I agree and as Jack said, Honda would claim you could not press two buttons by mistake, therefore a positive decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts