2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys i always wanted a car with cruise control untill i watch top gear
jeremy clarkson turned all the electronic equipment down on his car to get better economy when they were racing to get most mpg out of couple of diffrent cars
anyway

what is it behind it ?? Is cruise control really burns more ?????

i believe because u will get constant speed cruise control on all the time u will get better mpg

isnt it right???

i went to gatwick last night and back it seems like cruise control is actually saving me a little bit.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
You really wouldn't notice the difference, if you use the C/C properly.
Maybe a couple of miles per gallon.
It's worth that on a long trip, to stop the pins and needles in your right trotter.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Cruise Control is not the most economical way of driving - as it tries to maintain speed so it uses more revs to go up hills hence more fuel.

The most economical way of driving is using constant revs - this has the down side of slowing down when going up hills but speeding up again when going down. Also your right 'trotter' has to maintain the same position - mile after mile after mile - which is really hard to do.

As for as using aircon - this doesn't really affect the economy with these newer engines (espescially the 2.2 i-CTDI ;)) - you lose more getting you car up to temperature

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
I usually listen to everything Clarkson says - then do the complete opposite.

You will not go far wrong with this approach.

I use cruise at every available opportunity, and am currently averaging around 56mpg+, on my daily commute to and from work. On a trip to ABP, I got over 70mpg, if the computer is to beleived. (Admitted, I was in granny mode, though).

I am no boy racer, but certainly no Micra driver, either.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I'm with 'Jack The Lad' on this one - it's really nice to be able to rest your right foot on a long journey - in fact, I even use the "Speed +\-" button to either keep good spacing or to overtake on Motorways ! ...

CC and AC will burn a little more fuel, but the difference should be barely measurable - I have the AC permanently on ...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm with 'Jack The Lad' on this one - it's really nice to be able to rest your right foot on a long journey - in fact, I even use the "Speed +\-" button to either keep good spacing or to overtake on Motorways ! ...

CC and AC will burn a little more fuel, but the difference should be barely measurable - I have the AC permanently on ...
Regarding this, over the past month I have not used cruise control and turned the climate off, preferring to open the window. I have seen my average on the fuel computer rise from 48mpg to 55mpg also without changing driving style. Still using same mix of roads.

Thoughts ?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Regarding this, over the past month I have not used cruise control and turned the climate off, preferring to open the window. I have seen my average on the fuel computer rise from 48mpg to 55mpg also without changing driving style. Still using same mix of roads. Thoughts ?
Outside temperature - in Winter, fuel economy is worse - [Pottsy] recently published a graph over time, showing his monthly average fuel use, for essentially a standard 'to and from work' route ...

In the past, I did experiment with AC off, to test consumption, but the fuel computer showed no difference ...

The Civic's AC doesn't use much energy at all ! - it cannot make several MPG of a difference ...

There has been a lot of discussion about this before, and the conclusion \ consensus was that you leave the AC on at all times, and the difference in fuel use is not in fact measurable ...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ha ac :)
i just got my car yestersday from the dealer
they have been extremly helpful i have to say firstly

got the car as taxed serviced moted even put nearly half a tank of diesel in it but forgot to check my ac gas air condition is only blowing hot air haa haaa
they valeted the car but forgot to put the car mat back :)
i will ring them today
still i am very impressed with the customer service from newton honda brighton road .

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
ha ac :)
i just got my car yestersday from the dealer
they have been extremly helpful i have to say firstly

got the car as taxed serviced moted even put nearly half a tank of diesel in it but forgot to check my ac gas air condition is only blowing hot air haa haaa
they valeted the car but forgot to put the car mat back :)
i will ring them today
still i am very impressed with the customer service from newton honda brighton road .
Flipin eck!

Are you saying our very own NH Dan makes mistakes :popcorn2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts