2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to change the MTF oil in the gearbox on a service but not able to find the Drain plug or fill plug could somebody please help. Iremoved the passenger wheel and was expecting to find around that area?. What size are the fill and drain bolts?

Also is it a pain to use a funnel and pipe to fill?

Thanks for any help:rolleyes:

·
333 TMF
71 Posts
The drain bolt is at the front of the gearbox and the fill is on top of the box under the battery tray.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information is the fill also the level indicator when it comes out the fill hole?

·
333 TMF
71 Posts
No there is a separate level check bolt which is at the front of the box in line with the drain bolt. Capacity is 2.5L MTF.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks sounds like a task to remove the battery and tray to fill up with the MTF, Any idea what washers are required for the Drain, Fill and Indicator bolts to replace?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the gearbox oil change today anyone that may be looking on this thread on how to do the change you will need 14mm washer for the drain bolt, 20mm for the fill bolt. Both are 3/4 type to undo and the fill bolt requires the battery and tray to be removed with a long extension bar to reach onto the Fill bolt which in my case was very tight to undo.Also the level/indication bolt is a 10mm bolt just a few inches above the drain bolt. The drain bolt is located above the plastic front underside and requires a few plastic plugs to be removed from the cover.The flex of the plastic allows not all the plugs to be removed.

Many thanks to 3tom as i would of never found the fill plug without your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the useful information 3tom and wiimad. I am about to attempt the same procedure to change the gearbox oil in a 2009 CRV CDTI.

Apologies if this is a silly question, but can I just double check that there are actually 3 bolts - drain, fill and level? Normally when I've done this sort of thing in the past there have been 2 - drain and fill, and having drained the old oil and replaced the fill bolt you then add new fluid until thought the fill hole until it starts trickling out (e.g. as I've just done for the rear diff). But presumably in this case there is a dedicated (small) level plug to allow easier filling through a dedicated fill bolt higher up?

Could I also check whether a new crush washer is required for the level/indication bolt as well as the fill and drain bolts?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK - answered my own (rather stupdid) question. As the above posts explain there are 3 bolts - a drain, level and fill bolt. I found I had to remove the whole undertray to get proper access to the drain and level bolts, but once you do it's pretty obvious where they are. For the fill bolt, as well as the battery tray you have to remove the air intake that goes to the air filter - very easy to do. You then have access to the fill bolt which sits on top of the gearbox.

I soaked all of the bolts with penatrating oil several times before attempting to remove them. For the fill and drain bolts you need a 3/8" square drain key. I was going to just use the end of a 3/8" extension bar, but if you do that the little sprung ball on the end of the bar means it won't go all the way into the recess of the bolt, and I was worried about possibly stripping it out, so I invested in a Lazer Tools drain key set from Screwfix and both bolts undid without any hassle. The level bolt was very easy to undo requiring just a 10mm socket and being very small. I got new washers for the drain and fill bolts from Honda but the level bolt doesn't actually have a washer so nothing to change there. The only other thing you need is a short lenght of tubing with a funel to refill. All in all fairly straight forward job - the most fiddly thing was probably removing the undertray.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Can anyone say with certainty that the drain and fill holes are the same for the Mk9 2.2 diesel Civic please.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
Not sure about the 2.2 9G but I know it's just a Drain and Fill on the 1.6 and is a pretty easy job. Only special item a needed was to butcher a 2ltr lemonade bottle to catch the oil as the drain is slightly offset.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
Oh! someone said earlier that they would have used a 3/8 extension but couldn't due to ball bearings? It's what I sued to remove mine and never had any issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts