2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am brand new on here having just discovered the site.
I have a very nice 2009 2.2 i-CDTi with sat nav and camera.
I accidentally left on the ignition on stand by (after inflating tyres with 12v plug in.) Next morning the battery was dead flat. I recharged overnight and while it had recovered enough to bring on the sat nav when switched on it would not start but just sickly tried to turn over once.
I have read elsewhere on a US website of similar problems but I wonder if anyone on here has experienced this. I will get the battery checked out today and I have the radio code but am I likely to bring up any fault codes if I disconnect it?

Also, - a separate issue - when manoeuvring at low speed on full lock I get a juddering through the transmission. I have been told this is from the limited slip differential and is quite normal. Can anyone else confirm the same judder and reassure me all is ok? Has done this since I got it almost 2 years ago.

And - I won't pay the crazy cost of an updated CD for the sat nav. I carry a Garmin in case I need more up to date stuff but is there another way to get the system updated that is affordable and sensible?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Not sure about other issues, but juddering sounds like your rear diff oil needs changing/flushing.

Reactions: Oxter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get yourself a multimeter to check the voltage prior to turning the key from standby to crank, as soon as you turn the key the battery will probably go below 12V as all the electrics switch on aswell as the radio, air con, indoor lights, heated seats etc etc, do you know anybody with a big diesel to give you a jump start, then get the alternator to charge the battery for you

Second the Rear diff oil answer, not hard to do yourself. Get yourself the cr-v workshop manual available online for free

To update your Satnav, Ebay is your friend, about £15 I think, mixed results due to the burn quality and disc used though

I know a friend downloaded an image burnt it at 1x speed on a good quality disk (verbatim DVD+R DL) and had no problems in the year since he did it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get yourself a multimeter to check the voltage prior to turning the key from standby to crank, as soon as you turn the key the battery will probably go below 12V as all the electrics switch on aswell as the radio, air con, indoor lights, heated seats etc etc, do you know anybody with a big diesel to give you a jump start, then get the alternator to charge the battery for you

Second the Rear diff oil answer, not hard to do yourself. Get yourself the cr-v workshop manual available online for free

To update your Satnav, Ebay is your friend, about £15 I think, mixed results due to the burn quality and disc used though

I know a friend downloaded an image burnt it at 1x speed on a good quality disk (verbatim DVD+R DL) and had no problems in the year since he did it
Thank you. Unfortunately I had already tried to start it.I am recharging now with a better charger to see if that does the business.

Re the disc, I looked in HERE (ex Navteq) and the latest version says: Quote

2 DVD covering Europe. This Honda Map Update covers 28 countries with newly updated data, including 4 668 978 POIs such as petrol stations, airports, hotels and restaurants.
* Map data collected by HERE at the Q4/11.

I think that means the latest map they have is made in the 4th Quarter of 2011 ?? Is that correct? If so they are having a laugh and I wouldn't even buy a dodgy copy!! they want £170 for it too!!

I'll get a portable Garmin with lifetime maps for that price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Blackpool, you are a star. I googled that and the disc costs £29
Bargain. Now I don't want to nit pick but do you think that 2013 version will be updated before I go off in mid May? I could wait or buy now.

Edit: I have emailed the site to ask. Lots of good reviews on there for the product (and a tip about manually loading off it doesn't work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news. The battery has recharged and there may be a CD update before I go on holiday. Thanks to all for advice and very useful information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
which site did you check Oxter? and where where the reviews?, interested as well but like you looking for reliability pleas

thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
which site did you check Oxter? and where where the reviews?, interested as well but like you looking for reliability pleas

thanks
Freddy, the new disc will be available in May or June apparently. If you can't wait and decide to buy now, please tell us your opinion and experience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update: I bought a disc from satnavupdate.com and it appears to work fine. Thanks to Blackpool I have saved £140. Will renew it in a couple of years at that price.
Re the DIFF OIL I have been told that Dexron 2 or 3 will be ok for flush and refill. Can anyone tell me which one?
And my battery seems to be none the worse of the discharge. Thanks to all for help :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Further update:
The rear diff flush and refill was done using Honda's own fluid. 1 x litre to flush and same to refill - £20 the lot and running like a sewing machine.

The knock-off disc works pretty well but a few error messages and lock-ups only cured by eject and reload. Can't reload the original as system doesn't like an older disc and refers me to dealer. I have asked the supplier for comments and replacement. Progress to come

·
Registered
487 Posts
I did see it, I posted this for others who might look for an answer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts