2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my new 1400mls CRV the heather takes an absolute age to heat up.
2.2 Deisel.

The engine gets up to temp no problem so I'm sure the thermostat in the cooling system is working but the hot air blower is very poor.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
205 Posts
On my new 1400mls CRV the heather takes an absolute age to heat up.
2.2 Deisel.

The engine gets up to temp no problem so I'm sure the thermostat in the cooling system is working but the hot air blower is very poor.

Is this normal?
Yes. It takes ages to get up to temperature because it's a diesel. Mine is the same, and so was the 2.2 iDTEC Accord I had before. The 2.4 petrol Accord I had before that, got up to temperature almost immediately though.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
It does take a while (being an efficient diesel) but there still might be a problem.

Before the thermostat opens the water goes round the engine and the heater matrix. So as the water temperature gauge rises, so should the temperature of the air going into the car. If the water temperature gauge is up but the air coming into the car is cold, then you may have a sticky flap.

The air direction flaps are monitored, so a quick visit to the dealer for a fault code readout may well help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine takes much longer to heat up than my previous petrol car.

The temperature gauge acts strangely too in that for the first few miles it stays on cold then in the space of a minute or two it goes to normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mines not too bad, seemed pretty good today. Sadly you can't leave your car to warm up these days or someone will pinch it in a moment and your insurance won't pay out!

My wife's Kia Sportage has an electric PTC preheater that starts taking the chill off the blower almost straight away. I don't think the Honda has anything like this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just use the heated seats......................toasty

Then you get the 2nd wave when the heater kicks in

First winter snow today and the CRV went a treat, glad I fitted new front All Terrain tyres last week;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just use the heated seats......................toasty

Then you get the 2nd wave when the heater kicks in

First winter snow today and the CRV went a treat, glad I fitted new front All Terrain tyres last week;)
me too, no panics like i had in the civic. just set off gently leaving the cars behind screaming wailing and swaying side to side! i must admit i thought the heated seat wasn't up to much until twenty miles down the road i realised I'd fumbled in the dark and put the passenger one on accidentally.:-(

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
My type S 2.2 took 6 miles winter time to get any heat into the cabin.The Merc 124 300d I'm currently driving gives warm air almost straight away, well it is a 3 litre straight six motor :)

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
MrPete,

Diesels take longer to warm up, because they are more efficient. Engines that use a lot of fuel warm up quicker.

I am confused though - how long does it take before the temperature gauge rises? In your first post you infer that the engine warms up normally but the heater doesn't. If that's the case, then I still would suggest that you have a stuck flap.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm going to get it checked because its not right.
As before why would it just be Honda diesel takes so long?

This morning it was -1 and after 20 mins running engine was starting to warm up on the gauge. Maybe the thermostat is sticking...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dont you mean honda diesel doesnt run as hot as other diesels?

This is the first Diesel I've experience that is still warming up after running and driving for 20 mins. This cant be right?
Some diesels have heaters that burn diesel specifically to make the heater work straight away. I know the Jaguar S Type does that. Hondas don't seem to have that facility, so their heaters take longer to get up to temperature.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hot Gas Heater System?

From page 228 of the owner's manual:
Climate Control System
Hot Gas Heater System On Diesel models only

Your vehicle has the hot gas heater system. It assists the heater until the engine warms up after you start the engine. This system uses your vehicle's air conditioning system to warm the air. Under the following conditions, the hot gas heater system operates automatically.

The engine coolant is cold (under about 75° C).
The outside temperature is low (under about 5° C).
Any temperature except for the maximum cool can be set with the driver's side temperature control dial.
The fan is set to the desired speed.

After the engine warms up or the outside temperature is high, the hot gas heater system will stop automatically.
You may hear some noise from the engine compartment. This is normal; it is the hot gas heater activation.
The hot gas heater system will not activate if the outside temperature is too cold (under -35°C).
It would seem to work by reversing the flow of gas in the aircon system so that it acts as a heat pump. If this is correct, I'd expect heat to appear pretty quickly (think how quickly the aircon can cool air on a warm day; the reverse process of heating it should be about as fast, all things being equal). It says it works automatically but doesn't say if the aircon has to be switched on for it to function. I guess many of us would normally have the aircon off in winter, especially on a cold morning.

Has anyone experienced this working? Since getting my car 3 months ago the outside temperature hasn't been below 5c (I keep the car in the garage at night) so I've not had the opportunity to check it yet.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It says it works automatically but doesn't say if the aircon has to be switched on for it to function. I guess many of us would normally have the aircon off in winter, especially on a cold morning.
I will give this a go tomorrow. Set to Automatic I presume?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I think warmish air did come out first thing today when set to auto.

Will try again to conform as car had been started earlier through the day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think warmish air did come out first thing today when set to auto.
I got the chance to test it myself yesterday morning. Outside air temperature was 4c, climate control was set to auto and inside temperature set at 22c. After about 2 or 3 mins driving, it seemed that ever-so-slightly warm air (i.e. air that didn't feel chilly) came through. I then turned off the engine for 5 minutes while in the post office. I started driving again and slightly warmish air came through almost immediately. As I continued to drive the air got warmer even though the temperature gauge remained on cold. Warmish air was coming through after 5 minutes/3 miles driving.

So heat was coming through fairly quickly and it *may* have been down to the hot gas heater system. I can't say conclusively yet; I'll have to wait until it's below freezing outside to be sure. Having said that, some heat is definitely appearing much faster than other people are reporting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.