2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got a problem: my engine (2.2 i-CTDi, 2006) is not delivering power smoothly. It feels as if power is being delivered in ‘bursts’. Something is definitely wrong, although the car it isn’t in limp mode. I haven’t noticed any other obvious issues.

I’m getting the following codes from my OBD 2 reader:

P2004 - Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open Bank 1

P2199 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1/2 Correlation

The advice I’ve read re. P2004 is to replace the IMRC solenoid (Faults - Engine Fault - P2004 IMRC Stuck Open Bank 1).

The advice I’ve read re. P2199 is to remove and clean the MAP and MAF sensors (Faults - Engine Managment Light).

Will replacing the IMRC solenoid and/or cleaning the MAP and MAF sensors sort me out, or could something else be going on?

Is this something a newbie could tackle, or is this definitely a job for a professional?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
Have you deleted those codes to see if they come back? I wouldn't touch the IMRC/FSV or the MAF & MAP sensors unless there's a definite recurring fault code indicating a problem. Otherwise I'd say the EGR valve is sometimes failing to close fully.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jon_G. No, I haven't deleted the codes. Once I've deleted them, will they come back straightaway if they're genuine?

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Thanks, Jon_G. No, I haven't deleted the codes. Once I've deleted them, will they come back straightaway if they're genuine?
Essentially straght away:- You'll need a ~15 minute drive to be sure, as the trigger conditions usually specify the fault as occuring over a given time period or distance before they'll log the fault.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
Essentially straght away:- You'll need a ~15 minute drive to be sure, as the trigger conditions usually specify the fault as occuring over a given time period or distance before they'll log the fault.
Plus also the car needs to warm up enough for the ECU to run in 'closed loop' mode and use all the engine sensors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Plus also the car needs to warm up enough for the ECU to run in 'closed loop' mode and use all the engine sensors.
I cleared the codes and took the car for a run. Both codes (P2199, P2004) have returned.

I went for a fairly decent drive (only in my local area) because I wanted to be sure that I got both codes again if they were genuine. Something I wasn't expecting is that the feeling of the power coming in 'bursts' was just as I remembered it to begin with when I first set off, but by the end of the drive was very much reduced. I've no idea why this would be.

Are the codes related to what I'm experiencing, or is it just a coincidence? What should be my next step?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,853 Posts
I don't think there's a link between these two fault codes.

P2004 is a very common issue... the IMRC gets in the 'wrong' position, usually due to the remote vacuum actuator (the FSV) becoming weak. However this rarely causes a significant loss of power, more a slight hesitation. You can test this by removing the electrical connector from the FSV to see if that cures the hesitation (the IMRC then stays in a 'safe' position).

P2199 is a bit more unusual, as the two IAT sensors (one in the MAF, one in the MAP sensor housings) are giving different readings. Could be a bad connection (the MAF connection has to come off a lot due to air filter changes) so worth checking. Also see if your OBD2 reader can display IAT1 and IAT2 to see which one could be giving an obviously daft reading. More info here from the Honda workshop manual... DTC Troubleshooting: P2199 (125-4) (N22A)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts