2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I know nothing about batteries :( I just want a charger I can connect and let it decide what needs doing.

I have seen the ctek multi xs3600 battery charger and this seems good but does anyone know if its worth spending the extra £50 and buying the ctek xs7000?

Dont want to buy the 3600 and then find if i change the car or buy a better battery that its not powerfull enough and that Ishould have got the next model up.:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for any help
jas

·
Registered
502 Posts
Don't be afraid your charger will not be powerfull enough.
I have only one charger in my garage: a small Optimate, 5 years old, for motorcycles. Works perfect on car batteries. Only one disadvantage: it takes a bit longer to charge a car battery. But that doesn't bother me. No matter what charger, the next morning your battery is fine.
What's nice about the Optimate: it is very, very gentle for your batteries and stops charging when full. It will automatically restart if you keep the thing connected (motorcycle in wintersleep e.g.) and the batterievoltage drops under a certain tension.
No experience with Ctek.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.I cant understand why theres never been a dial/gauge for the battery so you can check its charge in any car Ive ever owned,considering its such an important thing.
regards
jas

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks for the advice.I cant understand why theres never been a dial/gauge for the battery so you can check its charge in any car Ive ever owned,considering its such an important thing.
regards
jas
Well Jasb,
It's technically rather complicated why there's no such gauge.
But believe me: it can not be done.
You should know a lot of values and do some tests before you can say if your battery is
a) in a good condition (willing to accept charge and able to keep that charge)
b) able to start the car (this is partially independent of a)
c) % of charge
There are batterietesters on the market that can tell you these things, but they're around 500 euro minimum (if you want a basic, good quality).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts