2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 3 year old CTR CW a few weeks ago. It's only done 16,000 miles. It's only had 1 Honda dealer service which was March this year. The warranty expired in April.
I spoke to Honda today. They said the car should have had 3 services, the first at 12,000 miles, or after 1 year, the second at 24,000 miles or after 2 years (whichever came first).
I didn't realise this. I thought it only needed a service every 12,000 miles.
Is it worth me carrying on having Honda service it, or is it just as well to take it to the local garage (a mate). He uses Honda parts and will stamp the book on each service.
I'm also wondering whether to use Kwik Fit for my oil change as they use the same oil (Mobil 1 green) as Honda; plus they're a lot cheaper.
It won't need another service until next year, and by then I reckon I'll only have approx. 19,000 miles on the clock.

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
if it's older than 3yrs then don't worry. did you buy from a honda main dealer?
as long as your mate uses honda parts and is vat registered then you won't have any issues

·
Mugen wannabe
2,056 Posts
My mileage is same it only had 1 also so I just got it done a year after I brought it it's now 18,000 so it has had a 24,000 service minus the valve clearance check honda quoted £369 my local garage with genuine parts to keep warranty and stamped book £189 7 mnths time approx it will go in for valve check

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mileage is same it only had 1 also so I just got it done a year after I brought it it's now 18,000 so it has had a 24,000 service minus the valve clearance check honda quoted £369 my local garage with genuine parts to keep warranty and stamped book £189 7 mnths time approx it will go in for valve check
Many thanks.
So on the 24,000 miles service is there anything I need to tell the mechanic to do specifically? I didn't know about the valve check. Any idea what is involved in this? Also is this done at 3 years or 36,000 miles?
Will the plugs need changing?
Re the air filter; it's a K&N. Do you know if it can be washed? It's a green mesh-like fabric, not paper type like in diesel Civics. Or does it have to be replaced?
Do you know where I can get a list of things that need doing on its next service in March 2013 to give to the mechanic (my mate)?
By the way, I'm looking for someone to teach me how to drive my car properly, so if you're ever passing through Neath give me a lesson. :D
Sorry for so many questions.
I do appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as your mate uses honda parts and is vat registered then you won't have any issues
I bought the car from Riders in Exeter.
My mate is VAT registered. Can I ask why it's important?
Cheers

·
Registered
208 Posts
My new CTR is 21 months old with 11k on clock. The dealer carried out the second service ( 3 months early, prior to collection of the car. I am purchasing a 3 year extended service plan taking me to it's 5th service in November 2015.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Many thanks.
So on the 24,000 miles service is there anything I need to tell the mechanic to do specifically? I didn't know about the valve check. Any idea what is involved in this? Also is this done at 3 years or 36,000 miles?
Re the air filter; it's a K&N. Do you know if it can be washed? It's a green mesh-like fabric, not paper type like in diesel Civics. Or does it have to be replaced?
Do you know where I can get a list of things that need doing on its next service in March 2013 to give to the mechanic (my mate)?
By the way, I'm looking for someone to teach me how to drive my car properly, so if you're ever passing through Neath give me a lesson. :D
Check the service book that came with the car.

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
if your car is under warranty with honda, then you can have it serviced elsewhere, but the garage has to be VAT registered and use gen parts for honda to still honor the warranty, but if your car is more than 3yrs old then don't worry.

also your service intervals are 12500, and all the info will be in your service.
the K&N may need cleaning, depends on how long it's been in there, i think there are on mileage anyway?
plug are not till 75000 as they are irdium.
honda recommend valve clearnces every 25000mile,but it's up to you really

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I still have my warranty and my honda dealer fitted non standard parts.

I have a hks panel filter, hamp oil filter, skunk2 magnetic sump plug, carbon activated cabin filter and used gulf competition 0w30.

They just don't offer a guarantee on the parts, i get a honda dealer stamp and 195 charge. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if your car is under warranty with honda, then you can have it serviced elsewhere, but the garage has to be VAT registered and use gen parts for honda to still honor the warranty, but if your car is more than 3yrs old then don't worry.

also your service intervals are 12500, and all the info will be in your service.
the K&N may need cleaning, depends on how long it's been in there, i think there are on mileage anyway?
plug are not till 75000 as they are irdium.
honda recommend valve clearnces every 25000mile,but it's up to you really
Every 25000 miles for valve check sounds like there looking for cash, do you recommend this evrytime, if so i will get it done.

·
grease monkey
132 Posts

I have a hks panel filter, hamp oil filter, skunk2 magnetic sump plug, carbon activated cabin filter and used gulf competition 0w30.

They just don't offer a guarantee on the parts, i get a honda dealer stamp and 195 charge. ;)

they may fit them, but if you ever had any problems, ie major engine trouble, and honda seen you wasn't using gen parts then could not honor your warranty on the part that fails.

i'm not saying the parts fitted are any better/worse than honda parts, but they can be really fun about things like that.

we got old of some oil filter from perflux (think thats how you spell it) the same ones honda use, but no honda logo. we was told by honda that we was not aloud to use them because of that reason

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
Every 25000 miles for valve check sounds like there looking for cash, do you recommend this evrytime, if so i will get it done.

it's upto you really, ask your mechanic friend how much he would charge you?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well my warranty has ended. whats so special about your oil you use. I was reading about liqui moli oil from germany and they recon its the best and benched marked it agains the other top brands like mobil1 castrol ect. it was way better so they say..
I like the sound of the sump plug how much and where to buy these items. they must be better than hondas brands or you wouldnt use them?
sorry just want the best for my car, and you seem to know a lot more than me.
cheers

·
Mugen wannabe
2,056 Posts
Many thanks.
Yes u may well have to remind them to do it apparently it's not to pricey to be done so fingers crossed new spark plugs at 25k if needed but they must be removed by 75k ( don't get why there is 50k to play with ) regards to filter and I,m sure I will be corrected but hks have told me the standard filter is better on the civics there words not mine ! Find a online service manual and it gives a list of things to b done

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ive just read up on the oil and yes it make sense how many litre do i need 6?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
they may fit them, but if you ever had any problems, ie major engine trouble, and honda seen you wasn't using gen parts then could not honor your warranty on the part that fails.

i'm not saying the parts fitted are any better/worse than honda parts, but they can be really fun about things like that.

we got old of some oil filter from perflux (think thats how you spell it) the same ones honda use, but no honda logo. we was told by honda that we was not aloud to use them because of that reason
Hamp filters are made by honda in japan ;-) and honda don't care what oil you use as long as its 0w30..... they will let you use 5w40 aswell in the type r.

There was only one item not honda and that was air filter, i wouldn't class the cabin filter to cause issues.

I couldn't get hold of a fuel filter by honda so the garage supplied that. :D

I picked up an extended warranty card, the honour it as long as you use honda for servicing. But saying that, you might find some dealers wont fit parts you supply as they make a profit on the parts.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yes u may well have to remind them to do it apparently it's not to pricey to be done so fingers crossed new spark plugs at 25k if needed but they must be removed by 75k ( don't get why there is 50k to play with ) regards to filter and I,m sure I will be corrected but hks have told me the standard filter is better on the civics there words not mine ! Find a online service manual and it gives a list of things to b done
Apparently the clearence check is part of the 25k service, just remind him to adjust the valves if they need it.

The hamp shortie apparently increases oil pressure by 5psi. ;-)

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
Hamp filters are made by honda in japan ;-) and honda don't care what oil you use as long as its 0w30..... they will let you use 5w40 aswell in the type r.

There was only one item not honda and that was air filter, i wouldn't class the cabin filter to cause issues.

I couldn't get hold of a fuel filter by honda so the garage supplied that. :D

I picked up an extended warranty card, the honour it as long as you use honda for servicing. But saying that, you might find some dealers wont fit parts you supply as they make a profit on the parts.

just to let you know, i've been reading though the honda warranty manual after last night, this is a direct quote from the manual.

Any damage resulting from the use of non-genuine Honda parts, other than recommended lubricants and fluids, and accessories other than those approved by Honda. Honda products should be serviced using genuine Honda parts, regardless of whether the product�s warranty is valid or not. Use of non-genuine Honda parts may result in deteriorated performance and reliability. Honda will not reimburse the dealer for costs relating to the repair of the part quality defects resulting from the use of non-authorized fuel, lubricants or liquid agents (brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, suspension oil, radiator coolant, cleaning agent).

i'm not trying to start a fight, just make you aware of using non gen stuff while is under warranty.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
just to let you know, i've been reading though the honda warranty manual after last night, this is a direct quote from the manual.

Any damage resulting from the use of non-genuine Honda parts, other than recommended lubricants and fluids, and accessories other than those approved by Honda. Honda products should be serviced using genuine Honda parts, regardless of whether the product�s warranty is valid or not. Use of non-genuine Honda parts may result in deteriorated performance and reliability. Honda will not reimburse the dealer for costs relating to the repair of the part quality defects resulting from the use of non-authorized fuel, lubricants or liquid agents (brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, suspension oil, radiator coolant, cleaning agent).

i'm not trying to start a fight, just make you aware of using non gen stuff while is under warranty.
So really i don't need to worry lol!!! I never used non approved per say. I still used 0w30 oil, and the air filter is just a hks.

My cabin filter will have no detriment to the deterioration or performance of the car, infact. When honda uk called me up i told them that i supplied my own items with honda reccomendations. ;-)

Just because you use a different brand doesn't mean it will go against the warranty, the panel filter might be the only thing as its not a paper filter.

Plus all my lubricants, fluids and oils i get from opie oil man. :) :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts