2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had my CTR all of 3 weeks (800 miles on the clock). Whilst the handling of my CTR is superb on well-maintained A and B roads, I'm concerned about town driving and the toll its rougher road surfaces are taking on the car's suspension...[pot holes and the 'patchwork quilt' effect left on city roads by utility companies installing pipes and the like]

Have any other CTR owners had major issues with the CTR's suspension components wearing prematurely due to rough road surfaces? I know that the CTR has a firm setup, but I seem to feel every single crack in the road.

K

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
No I don't think so - someone on this site, non-CTR owner, had one of his front wishbones obliterated if I recall correctly, but I can't remember, who, how or why...:confused:

Really and truly, whilst the car is hard-riding I wouldn't be worried in that respect - unless you absolutely rape it everywhere, over any surface and basically just trash it, which judging by your query doesn't sound like you. ;)

I'd be more worried about cabin rattles that manifest themselves as a result of the crashy ride mate - nowt else! :popcorn2:

What you're experiencing is 'new to the Type-R's suspension syndrome' - you'll love it soon, and be giving someone else the same reassurance in time :D

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
i have a very hard ride in my CTR, since i have had it back from service its got worse, so im sending it back to them to have a look

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I too feel every crack and bump in the road. I dont think its really going to affect the suspension too much unless you're driving around town hell for leather. Im sure rough surfaces taken at gentle pace wont cause you any problems.

I generally take it easy where it know its rough and try to avoid pot holes, speed bumps, cracks in the road etc were i can. If you drive behind me you'd probably think i was drunk with me weaving to miss sunken manhole covers and potholes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I don't think so - someone on this site, non-CTR owner, had one of his front wishbones obliterated if I recall correctly, but I can't remember, who, how or why...:confused:

Really and truly, whilst the car is hard-riding I wouldn't be worried in that respect - unless you absolutely rape it everywhere, over any surface and basically just trash it, which judging by your query doesn't sound like you. ;)

I'd be more worried about cabin rattles that manifest themselves as a result of the crashy ride mate - nowt else! :popcorn2:

What you're experiencing is 'new to the Type-R's suspension syndrome' - you'll love it soon, and be giving someone else the same reassurance in time :D
* cheers for the advice, I am (I guess) just 'new to the CTR's suspension'...I just hate the idea that badly maintained roads (loads here in Edinburgh) are going to damage my beautiful car...

K

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LazyTrev - you hit the nail on the head! I'm continually weaving avoiding all sorts of cr$p!

K

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
I too feel every crack and bump in the road. I dont think its really going to affect the suspension too much unless you're driving around town hell for leather. Im sure rough surfaces taken at gentle pace wont cause you and problems.

I generally take it easy where it know its rough and try to avoid pot holes, speed bumps, cracks in the road etc were i can. If you drive behind me you'd probably think i was drunk with me weaving to miss sunken manhole covers and potholes.
+1, also gives you an idea of how nimble the Type-R is when you start weaving around the man hole covers.

Personally, I don't mind the ride - but tend to drive on the nicer roads, just to look after the car really. Worse roads normally have traffic piling up behind me - sorry :razz:

* cheers for the advice, I am (I guess) just 'new to the CTR's suspension'...I just hate the idea that badly maintained roads (loads here in Edinburgh) are going to damage my beautiful car...

K
Yeah, seriously it's nothing to worry about. Try London :rolleyes:

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
I hate it when there is a bump..my foot goes slightly in and out of the accelerator and makes me sound like a bad driver lol..hasnt happened since i got the coilovers though

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
As fat4y says a good set of coilovers like KWs will improve things a lot. From others feedback KWs improve both the handling and the ride quality.

The standard CTR shocks are over sprung and poorly damped for UK roads, making for a slightly crashy bouncy ride. I don't think its too bad but it could be better. I have got used to it and am not concerned about things wearing out quickly. My car has done 28k miles on less than perfect roads and it shows no signs of suspension clunks / wear .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers all,

Coilovers - so I guess the CTR's aren't adjustable at the Honda dealers then?
£ - how much are we talking for after-market coilovers?

K

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Worth buying coilovers will probably start from £700-£800 and range upto stupidsville amounts. KW Variant 2's fitted, can probably be had for just over £1k, unless you can fit them yourself. They have some ride height/damper adjustability :)

·
Geordies!!!!:-):-)
1,839 Posts
sorry guys...i have to say i love my R and love how hard and bumpy it is at times(makes me feel like im in a rally car)....to be honest if you didnt like how hard and bumpy it is then why buy the type r??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
The standard CTR shocks are over sprung and poorly damped for UK roads, making for a slightly crashy bouncy ride.
spot on, despite the 'firm' ride I was surprised how bouncy the car is when pushed.

so the coilovers will remove the bounce without sacrificing the 'firmness' ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know what you mean i was more concerned with the effect it would have on the shell over a longer period of time.

The worst for mee is those lines they paint across the road to slow you down.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
spot on, despite the 'firm' ride I was surprised how bouncy the car is when pushed.

interested to know the answer...again, the firmness I like; the bounce after the bump not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

Yes , if anything the KWs are supposed to be firmer yet have much better damping and progressive springs. Everyone who has installed them rates them highly for handling and removing the crashy bouncy ride.

The Mugen and hypermax coilovers sound good as well

I think the Honda accountants had too much say when they selected the standard CTR shocks :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts