2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to inspect a CW earlier today and noticed a local gap between the door and the bodykit around the middle of the car. then later by the rear wheel arch.

This is a car I'm considering purchasing. Is this simply a case of a broken clip or could it be potentially worse i.e a deal breaker.

Seller claimed he did not know about it. But as the car is under warranty he will get it checked out. Wondering what your thoughts were.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Mine also like 3rd pic

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So no deal breaker then. Thanks.

Also, I was looking for a thread on common faults to look out for with second hand FN2's. Can anyone link me? Or do you know if there are any additional things to look for the CW?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mines like the third photo too. I also have a gap around my front wheel arch too, these body kits don't fit too great and are never 100%, I've had my car from new.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Broken clips, my old civic did the same, Honda wanted £300 to repair

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's silly money for what it is. Did you try to repair under warranty? The seller said he would take it to Honda to repair.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
That's silly money for what it is. Did you try to repair under warranty? The seller said he would take it to Honda to repair.
I sold the car 6 weeks later for my FN2. it was caused by a speed bump and the RIGID mud flaps

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Why would anyone even put mad flaps on their car when the whole bumper is plastic anyway? They look ugly too!
To stop mud being splashed?! How does having a plastic bumper stop that? :facepalm:

In fact how many cars dont have plastic bumpers now? The last one I can think of was the Ford Capri in early 90's.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
To stop mud being splashed?! How does having a plastic bumper stop that? :facepalm:

In fact how many cars dont have plastic bumpers now? The last one I can think of was the Ford Capri in early 90's.
The mud flaps used to protect the metal wings on the older cars, I don't really get much mud coming up on my car.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
The mud flaps used to protect the metal wings on the older cars, I don't really get much mud coming up on my car.
I assume your talking about rust? Which I agree.

But if I have just cleaned my car I'd rather the mud/dirt be caught by mudflaps. in terms of the rears I imagine thats mainly about minimising spray for other road users.

Its all pie in the sky anyway as the OEM mudflaps are rigid and cause more issues than they solve, which I found out.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I remember having the mud flaps ripped off when dropping off curbs, etc. on my previous (older) cars. I agree that they are more hassle than what they are worth, the car is low enough already!

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I remember having the mud flaps ripped off when dropping off curbs, etc. on my previous (older) cars. I agree that they are more hassle than what they are worth, the car is low enough already!
Agreed! Ive dropped mine by 15mm also so they wont be going on my FN2. I'd also strong discourage anyone from fitting them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The owner took the car down to the dealership and apparently they said the centre gap is nothing out of the ordinary. I'm told it's not a gap, it's something to do with where the door seal comes up to the side skirt :confused: Don't know and will need to have a closer look.

Anyways, there was no mention to put it right, meaning it's not something he was able to do under warranty.

When I spoke to the dealer directly, they said it wasn't a straight forward job (without having seen it). This is on the basis that what we are talking about is a broken clip.

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
You are just noticing the gap more because the silver colour makes gaps stick out more.If you were to look round a car with a darker paint job it wouldn't be as noticeable.Most civic sill and wheel arch trims can sit somewhat shoddy.It`s really down to how thin the plastic is and the space between clip`s.At worst a couple of new clips will probably do.Have a look in the door check`s,inner sill and a pillar for signs of a paint edge or over-spray in-case it`s had a repair.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But to get the clips in, presumably the whole side skirt needs to be lifted out. Is that a straightforward job? Or is that the reason why it's £300?

I didn't notice shades of paint locally but will have a more thorough look on the weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts