2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a brand new 2015 Civic Sport 1.6 i-DTEC with Honda Connect and was wondering if it was possible to install custom APK files onto the android head unit...

Reason being; I was thinking that if I could install the Waze app (which is ICS compatible: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/waze/waze-waze/) I could then tether the device to my iPhone's personal hotspot to provide internet access and get a full, traffic-enabled sat-nav, with reporting. Which would be kinda cool!

I can get into the android menu and select the install apk option, it even finds the waze apk file on the USB. Then it pops up a screen with an "Install" button, but it's greyed out. Not really sure why, other than Honda don't want you to install custom stuff... Wondered if there was a way "around" this issue...?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I honestly don't think you will be able too... Honda won't allow for safety reasons plus the fact if you can install apps from the Play Store, they won't be able to make money from selling their own apps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is probably locked down by the firmware. You'd probably need root access to allow it.

Have you looked on xda? See if anybody has been able to gain root access on it and how easy it'd be?
Yeah, you're probably right. I had a quick search on XDA and couldn't find anything at all referencing the Honda system.

I honestly don't think you will be able too... Honda won't allow for safety reasons plus the fact if you can install apps from the Play Store, they won't be able to make money from selling their own apps.
Yeah, it's nothing to do with safety in my mind and all to do with making a profit. Can't blame them, everyone else does the same thing.

I'm sure it's a matter of time before someone is prepared to play around with it a bit and figure it all out. :popcorn:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Again one more reason to buy a double din with android auto. Cheaper and totally free. And you keep all functions!
I still have to see what's the advantage of this new Honda Connect compared to the 2012-2014 units with satnav? If I cannot install apps, what is it good for?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Again one more reason to buy a double din with android auto. Cheaper and totally free. And you keep all functions!
I still have to see what's the advantage of this new Honda Connect compared to the 2012-2014 units with satnav? If I cannot install apps, what is it good for?
Pioneer have 2 new headunits that have android auto.
The cheap one is $750 australian dollars, the expensive one is $1150

So not really cheap and seeing as this headunit may be the same globally with a few tweaks it wont take long for someone at XDA to do something.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,423 Posts
I'm beginning to think just the same. The Garmin is locked down so you can't upload your own POI's and it only has the inferior TMC RDS traffic instead of the far superior Garmin digital traffic supplied by Inrix.
At the moment my initial intention of p/x next March is on hold.

If they don't want you to meddle then fair enough but at least have a SD card slot, like Merc do, that you can load POI's and other stuff to that can be pointed to. Plus why they didn't include digital traffic beats me.

No turn by turn info on the eye level iMid = having to take your eyes off the road :facepalm:

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
At the moment my initial intention of p/x next March is on hold.

I would wait a little longer anyway, the 9G is a good car but by march will be 4 years old and compared to the 8G has struggled for sales which is either down to looks, price or recession but could be a bit of everything. Either way there is rumours non of which are from Honda but they are rumours of a 10G Civic going into production late next year and even though you may find this hard to belive look at the 7G Civic that had a facelift in 2004 and then the 8G arrived in late 2005 while this was only produced from 2001 - 2005. Looking at those time scales and the poor sales of the 9G compared to the 8G plus the fact the 9G also got a model range tweak in 2014 with another major range push and slight facelift for 2015 then there might be more to this than you think as by next year the 9G will be 4 years old which was when the 7G was replaced even though the 8G lasted longer but this also sold very well.

I will also add Honda will not confirm anything until the show off the Euro 10G Civic as to be fair they are in business to sell cars and the last thing they want is people to stop buying the facelift 9G because they have confirmed in 18 months the 10G model will arrive.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
You still might be able to install things, you will just need a laptop to do it.
and if the USB connect enables you to connect a PC to it.

If you can enable developer mode which is done by tapping the model info line in general>about 7 times.

Then you need to enable USB Debugging.
Once you have done that, connect the headunit to a PC.
Open a command prompt and type in adb reboot bootloader
Then it is just a matter of typing in adb install app name.apk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You still might be able to install things, you will just need a laptop to do it.
and if the USB connect enables you to connect a PC to it.

If you can enable developer mode which is done by tapping the model info line in general>about 7 times.

Then you need to enable USB Debugging.
Once you have done that, connect the headunit to a PC.
Open a command prompt and type in adb reboot bootloader
Then it is just a matter of typing in adb install app name.apk
I'll give this a go! :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I can't seem to enable developer mode :confused:

I tried going into Settings -> Android -> About and tapping repeated on pretty much all the options in there and didn't have any luck. I also had a look around the rest of the system but couldn't find anything else that looked likely...

EDIT: Also for the version of android that's on the unit, it should just be there:
http://www.kingoapp.com/root-tutorials/how-to-enable-usb-debugging-mode-on-android.htm

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would wait a little longer anyway, the 9G is a good car but by march will be 4 years old and compared to the 8G has struggled for sales which is either down to looks, price or recession but could be a bit of everything. Either way there is rumours non of which are from Honda but they are rumours of a 10G Civic going into production late next year and even though you may find this hard to belive look at the 7G Civic that had a facelift in 2004 and then the 8G arrived in late 2005 while this was only produced from 2001 - 2005. Looking at those time scales and the poor sales of the 9G compared to the 8G plus the fact the 9G also got a model range tweak in 2014 with another major range push and slight facelift for 2015 then there might be more to this than you think as by next year the 9G will be 4 years old which was when the 7G was replaced even though the 8G lasted longer but this also sold very well.

I will also add Honda will not confirm anything until the show off the Euro 10G Civic as to be fair they are in business to sell cars and the last thing they want is people to stop buying the facelift 9G because they have confirmed in 18 months the 10G model will arrive.
I think it's recession plus the lack of 1.6 diesel (which finally arrived). And bad marketing, Honda simply does not to effective marketing, unlike German brands who live out of it.

Do you have a link to those rumours? Late next year, means it starts selling in 2017...

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I have tried most things but rooting so far:

Can't download from App Store. Handbook says you can install APK's from USB stick - failed. I can get system to see them but will not install.Shame really the Dealer really plugged this system and I must admit being an Android guy I fell for it but it's not all it's cracked up to be :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have tried most things but rooting so far:

Can't download from App Store. Handbook says you can install APK's from USB stick - failed. I can get system to see them but will not install.Shame really the Dealer really plugged this system and I must admit being an Android guy I fell for it but it's not all it's cracked up to be :(
Yeah it's certainly a bit disappointing, but I'm sure someone will figure it out sooner or later. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Any news on getting apps on the my15 head unit ?

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
That's a pitty :mad:

1 - 20 of 307 Posts