2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, anyone using a custom built manifold or have any opinions on them? Thinking of getting one, got a quote from a company called Meerkat who made all of the exhausts for Colin McRae's rally cars, they're work/welding on their site looks good too but I'm still thinking is it a risk in case the manifold turns out to be rubbish in terms if gains? (quality I'm not fussed as if it's poor quality I'll just return it) or is it unlikely that the manifold will produce poor gains?

Cheers! :popcorn:

·
Slow Driver
1,418 Posts
Pretty sure someone here has an AAS Custom manifold on their Fn2 if I remember correctly.

They're based in Newcastle and are known from their excellent fabrications/welds etc.

Edit: gains are depending on the companies themselves, and if they know what they're doing. For the K20 however, there will be guaranteed gains no matter how badly it's done :D nah man, could be just a cash-in and fingers cross moment...

·
Unbelieveable Vteccers
837 Posts
Guys, anyone using a custom built manifold or have any opinions on them? Thinking of getting one, got a quote from a company called Meerkat who made all of the exhausts for Colin McRae's rally cars, they're work/welding on their site looks good too but I'm still thinking is it a risk in case the manifold turns out to be rubbish in terms if gains? (quality I'm not fussed as if it's poor quality I'll just return it) or is it unlikely that the manifold will produce poor gains?

Cheers! :popcorn:
If as you say they made exhausts for rally cars, then these boys don't mess about serious amounts of cash ans R&D go into these cars so i think they will have a good idea of how to build a free flowing manifold.:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, yeh they seem to have s really good reputation it's just that obviously the design of the manifold will determine the gains but being a novice I'm not going to know whether or not it looks good until I actually see the gains on paper

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have an AAS manifold on my FN2. Well chuffed with it. Stuart and Al from advanced automotive systems have a lot of experience in all forms of competition (circuit racing,rally,superbike racing) and the quality is good.

The AAS manifold really comes to life when paired to a good intake and flashpro with a custom tune.

Paul.

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for that Paul! How much was the manifold if you don't mind me asking? Been quoted £500 for the custom built one I'm looking at! Do you know what gains you made with it? I have flashpro along with GM intake and a few other things so should work well! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the regular AAS/TDI/XOPOWER manifold. Bought it 2 years ago for 878 Euro if memory serves me correct.
I have no idea how much gain I made with it. Not interested in that, but as far as I know it`s not restrictive at all, even with my stock (modified) catback and on a 100 bhp nitrous shot.
The manifold is just as quiet as the OEM manifold, but when you give it full throttle ist makes a hard metallic sound with a good rasp.
Installation is easy compared with other race manifolds as the AAS has two separate flanges.

If you need any help with this manifold let me know. I can also help you out if you need a custom map for it.

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh I hear it's a good manifold especially for top end gains, I think I'm going to go the this company and look at the design they are proposing for it and then go from there but can't go too wrong for £500 though!

Cheers again for the info again mate, back downtown TDI North next month hopefully :)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Will the custom manifold have all the breather pipe attachments etc on the one above doesn't appear to have them?

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
I have an AAS manifold on my FN2. Well chuffed with it. Stuart and Al from advanced automotive systems have a lot of experience in all forms of competition (circuit racing,rally,superbike racing) and the quality is good.

The AAS manifold really comes to life when paired to a good intake and flashpro with a custom tune.

Paul.

Runners 1-2 are alot shorter then 3-4...!!!:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Looks awsome!! The length of those runners.... ouch!!!

Any idea of the price??

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
a costum built one:

Thats a work of art!.
from my bike tuning knowledge thought the optimal idea was to have equal length pipes on the manifold, hence sometimes the convoluted design. Length effectively tunes where in the rev range gains are made; shorter pipes = good for high revs / longer = gives you some midrange.

Are the diameters of the header pipes much bigger than stock?

I think I’d want a custom manifold to look like the one in the picture.

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats some excellent info guys thanks! I will discuss this further with the guys at Meerkat and see what they are saying to it, but i think for the money this looks like it will be a very good alternative indeed especially if it can produce the kind of gains Allagios is quoting!

can anyone tell me....is it "safe" to run with a manifold without tuning? as I'm thinking I may have it fitted at the makers to make sure it actually all fits perfectly etc before I head down to TDI for mapping etc...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts