2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Jack Bauer is my God
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my colour theme for my ES is blue, interior and exterior (on a Silver paintwork)... anyways I just wanted to show off and did this:

It is a standard gold ball size steel knob, usually in red from just about anywhere, painted in metallic blue enamel paint.

Anywho, thought I would share my 15 minute job! :D

G

Attachments

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Get a blue touch up pen thing from halfords and fill in the indented numbers in blue?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
The 'Seeker' knob (Japanese) has a Blue-ish anodised finish - but cheap it's not ! - here's mine, before and after fitting a short shifter ...

Or, look through the US websites - some good stuff there, at excellent prices ...
xxx

Attachments

·
Jack Bauer is my God
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It really was that simple, I used to (and still do) build plastic model kits so have the paints, brushes and experience. Took about 20 minutes, just covered over as neat as possible, then got a brush with white spirit to tidy up the edges. That was the fiddly bit!

@Grayfox if you want, send me your one/a one and i'll paint it to your colour. Just pay for a beer ;)

PS If actually interested i'll start a proper thread in the proper section.

Rob, good luck it will be glued on when you get here!!!

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
It really was that simple, I used to (and still do) build plastic model kits so have the paints, brushes and experience. Took about 20 minutes, just covered over as neat as possible, then got a brush with white spirit to tidy up the edges. That was the fiddly bit!

@Grayfox if you want, send me your one/a one and i'll paint it to your colour. Just pay for a beer ;)

PS If actually interested i'll start a proper thread in the proper section.

Rob, good luck it will be glued on when you get here!!!
The one i have is the fugly stock one.

And shipping to australia is the real pain, if it wasn't so expensive i would buy one off you.

Is this the type i'll need?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-Type...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb7a91247

And this is the paint?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-E...es_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item35b0fe9c20

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Looks very nice ;-) Good job!

·
Registered
104 Posts
What I somtimes think...why not put a small light in a gearknob. That lights up the numbers. I think it would look great :p
Never seen this in a car. Bringing the electricity inside the knob would be the biggest problem...

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
What I somtimes think...why not put a small light in a gearknob. That lights up the numbers. I think it would look great :p
Never seen this in a car. Bringing the electricity inside the knob would be the biggest problem...
I think if you made the gear shifter hollow you could feed a +12 with an inline resistor and a ground wire as well.

Issue is how do hollow out the OEM gear knob numbers get LED in to them wire them up and then get the wires down the shifter, do that the rest should be easy.

By wiring it up to the parking/position light wires so the gear numbers light up at night but look normal during the day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.