2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all Civic owners,

I am running a project to manufacture a custom hvac audio display for my non satnav civic mk8(2010 Model)

I am planing to use a 2.8 Nextion HMI TFT LCD display and a microcontroller board like stm32 or arduino

İdea is simle,
1) connect the microcontroller (stm32 or arduino) to the audio display connector of the car
2) read data coming to the connector pins when a hvac button is pressed or released
3) send a command to the TFT lcd to show an icon or text depending on the value of data

my tft lcd sketch is like below
https://pasteboard.co/IFIEZ8M9.jpg

and this is the pinout diagram of original display
https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/images/5/5b/Nav-audio.jpg

it will be fitted in the sub audio display section of a factory satnav screen and I will use the main satnav screen for something else (reverse cam, video, maybe an external navigation)

I know how to run tft lcd, but I'm not sure which pin to read and how to read tha data (is it analog, digital, voltage, resistance etc)

If I can get some help about it, I will share everytihg I got about this project for everyone willing to try it

Main screen task is already completed( the main screen allways shows navigation interface even if you switch to other menus on the head unit):
https://pasteboard.co/IFIOeMJ.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/IFIOrpn.jpg

sub audio display is the last task

·
Registered
92 Posts
Am I right thinking the video image on the civic satnav screen is upside down? The smaller square display sits to the right of the larger screen.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
The unit is for a left hand drive civic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
we have some prgress here

https://pasteboard.co/IGNx4m2.jpg
https://pasteboard.co/IGNxqBC.jpg

1) navigation module is fitted in a original navigation unit enclosure, which will be mounted in the glove box
2) sub audio display is run by a maple mini clone development board,
3) time is adjustable
4) "read serial data and put it on lcd" task to go

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
this is display connection diagram for non sat nav cars(without navigation with audio)

I need to figure out
a) which pin is the main power for display (probably 5 volts)
b) which pin is the main ground for display
c) which pin is for climate controls data
d) which pin is the power for clock (3.3 or 5 volts probablay - this must be a seperate pin and must suply continious power in order to keep clock uptaded even if the igniton is off)
e) which pin is the ground for clock (may not be necessary)
f) which pin is the trigger for clock adjustment

·
Registered
30 Posts
this is display connection diagram for non sat nav cars(without navigation with audio)

I need to figure out
a) which pin is the main power for display (probably 5 volts)
b) which pin is the main ground for display
c) which pin is for climate controls data
d) which pin is the power for clock (3.3 or 5 volts probablay - this must be a seperate pin and must suply continious power in order to keep clock uptaded even if the igniton is off)
e) which pin is the ground for clock (may not be necessary)
f) which pin is the trigger for clock adjustment
I'm trying same thing that you, so I hope this help you:

https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Audio_Sub_Display

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
this is from the wiki (head unit display connector)

D1 BRN Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP GND)
D2 PNK Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP 5 V)
D3 ——— Not used
D4 YEL Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP RST)
D5 PUR Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP CLOCK)
D6 ORN Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP DATA)
D7 BLU Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP CE)
D8 GRY Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP SHIELD)
D9 PNK Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP LCD BL-)
D10 LT GRN Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP LCD BL+)

this does not mean much to me
what is RST
What is DATA
What is CE
What is SHIELD
I believe BL+ and BL- means backlight up and down(I may be wrong)

I tried to power up an original Sub Audio Display on D1 and D2 using a USB power moudle(5 volts) and nothing happened, when I cross changed D1 and D2 I saw a led lighting on pcb

·
Registered
30 Posts
this is from the wiki (head unit display connector)

D1 BRN Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP GND)
D2 PNK Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP 5 V)
D3 ——— Not used
D4 YEL Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP RST)
D5 PUR Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP CLOCK)
D6 ORN Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP DATA)
D7 BLU Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP CE)
D8 GRY Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP SHIELD)
D9 PNK Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP LCD BL-)
D10 LT GRN Audio-HVAC subdisplay unit (SUB DISP LCD BL+)

this does not mean much to me
what is RST
What is DATA
What is CE
What is SHIELD
I believe BL+ and BL- means backlight up and down(I may be wrong)

I tried to power up an original Sub Audio Display on D1 and D2 using a USB power moudle(5 volts) and nothing happened, when I cross changed D1 and D2 I saw a led lighting on pcb
The LCD works with signal of radio, (clock, A/C, etc,) so it'snt connected the radio to the LCD i think that lcd doesn't do anythig although LCD is ON.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The LCD works with signal of radio, (clock, A/C, etc,) so it'snt connected the radio to the LCD i think that lcd doesn't do anythig although LCD is ON.
normally the sub audio display is connected to the factory radio/head unit,(factory head unit has a 10 pin connector just like the display connector and both pinouts are exactly the same)

the steering wheel interface adapters like connects2 or impulsecar sits between the car and head unit and converts-sends power/data/signal to fool other units(sub audio display in this case) as if they are coming from factory head unit

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I believe the clock is not part of the car, it is part of the display itself (There must be a RTC real time clock osilator or somethin in it)
we are just sending adjustment commands to set it using steering wheel buttons via the D5 clock pin.
If so the Display must have a continuous power to feed RTC only to keep time updated even if the ignition is off
no matter what, I am using a stm32 board(which has an internal RTC unit with seperate Vbat power input independet off the board) to make my own clock, I plan to use steering wheel commands just to update the clock

as a second case the car may be sending the epoch time to the display as serial data, in this case just a couple of code lines to convert it to human readable format will be easier

I wil make some measurements on every pin to test it soon

I am hopping the the clock is a serial data of epoch time

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi again.

I remember people with double din lost the clock, so they have to buy the connects2 interface. With this interface, the lcd show clock, and besides the date (the date isn't show by the car in origin).
Here I put the specifications of the interface, and tells us how to program the clock and date, so I guess that information is added by the interface and not the screen.
http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/CTSHO002_IG_en-GB_v1.pdf

So, I think that clock is in the radio

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi again.

I remember people with double din lost the clock, so they have to buy the connects2 interface. With this interface, the lcd show clock, and besides the date (the date isn't show by the car in origin).
Here I put the specifications of the interface, and tells us how to program the clock and date, so I guess that information is added by the interface and not the screen.
http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/CTSHO002_IG_en-GB_v1.pdf

No, I dont think the clock or date is in the radio, radio is just a bridge to pass the date/time info to the display
for satnav cars there is no date on sub display, but this kit is especially built for non satnav cars which already has date on display, and its main task is to fool the car components to think that commands are coming from oem radio.
On the other hand if you use this kit on a satnav car with an aftermarket head unit and replace the main screen with a non satnav display, boom you have date,
So this means that date and clock is nothing to do with the radio,
eighter date/time is coming from some other component of the car(this does not explain date)
or date/time is reproduced by the connects2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again.

if the connects2 gives the date, this means it has a RTC module and if so it can also produce clock(time) info besides date, so no need to get clock(time) from radio or car

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I beleive I solved the consant 3.3 volt problem for the RTC Vbat pin on my development board.
I will take constant 12 volts from the main Navigation Display (it has one 12v constant, one 12v accesory/ignition and one ground pin)
using a 12v to 3v convertor I will feed the RTC, so it will always be updated even if the ignition is off

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok! I am stuck at the reading button press/release data from the car (coming over via connects2 adapter)
besides, I have burnt my original non-satnav display
Without any help It seems I can not go any further,
I need data values of each button (analog value or serial data value or digital value etc. I do not know)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts