2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got any personal experiences with them? How did you find it? Are they reliable? What are the maintenance items and are they reliable?

I've had a quick google, but thought with so many genius's on here, it would be worthwhile posting on here for your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
The reviews I've read have all homed in on the CVT's behaviour of allowing the engine to briefly over rev when you accelerate.

It seems it's a case of hit the throttle, the engine will respond and it will then be a short while for the road speed to match the engine speed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
These boxes are different in the way they work.

CVT's have a belt (metal band) driven system and not gears, the belt rotates around a cylinder that changes diameter which mimicks that of different gear ratios.

Hence, when you drive these cars what you actually experience is that the engine revs to it's maximum torque and then the gearbox does the rest by Constantly Varying the Transmission (CVT) to get to the speed you want.

Honda also did provide a manual override which you can set so that it drives like a normal auto by pre programming cylinder sizes making it feel like it was changing gears, for those who didn't like the CVT feeling.

One thing is for sure that they had these in the old Jazz but when the new one came out they installed the iShift, needless to stay after the demise of the iShift they have bought back the CVT into the new Jazz.

As far I recall they were one of the most reliable CVT around and these gearboxes have a good reliability reputation. The real question is matter of taste and whether you can live with it just like the iShift, which I didn't like as every gear change felt like a mini whiplash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts