2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the car less than a week old and less than 500 miles covered, I pulled away from traffic lights when all I could see in the mirror was a big cloud of white smoke!
I pulled over and turned the engine off, a lady behind me pulled alongside and told me to get out quickly as flames were shooting out of the exhaust. The car has been taken back to the dealer by the AA.
Anyone know of any other fire problems with Civics?
Anyone know where I stand on rejecting the car?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Never heard of the like, sounds like it could be running to rich and a hot exhaust has set light to excess fuel, i.e. excess fuel has been dumped out, and just boof.....

Bad luck mate... get a new one out of it though ;-)

Tom

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
OMG!

At least you're OK, did you have an extinguisher to hand or did it put itself out? May consider getting an extinguisher along with the other safety kit I carry in the car.

Think you're the first on here to have a problem of this nature though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fire put itself out and the only visible damage is black soot marks up the back of the car.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Blimey that is shocking :(

Possibly a Catalytic Converter fault? certainly unburnt fuel or something flammable must have caught fire after passing through the exhaust (which does get very hot).

Some people aim to get fire spitting pipes, but it shouldn't happen on a standard type-r, I don't see you being able to reject the car, but I would ask for full inspection and analysis into the problem and a written explanation from Honda UK.

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Hopefully there won't be any serious or permanent damage. I'd be quite keen to hear what the dealer has to say about it as well. When will you be able to get an update?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Sounds like it ran rich and the excess just caught, still bad, but at least the fire didn't keep going, should mean that it's not burst fuel line etc.... :) Didn't the R32 Golf have a similar problem in the states recently?

Will need a new Cat though won't it? I'd have everyone thing necessary replaced by Honda, as it is a very serious fault and should not happen..... BTW the fire spitting exhausts usually require carefully placed sparkplug and they just spark fumes rather than full on neat petrol... certainly not something safe for people behind.....

Tom

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
wow ,

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Oil overfill?
Unlikely, that would either cause it to go bang, or to actually catch fire in the engine bay, seemingly this was restricted to the exhaust system.

Tom

·
Registered
610 Posts
Never heard of the like, sounds like it could be running to rich and a hot exhaust has set light to excess fuel, i.e. excess fuel has been dumped out, and just boof.....
It doesn't quite work like that. All my cars have been see spitting sometimes very large flames out the back with no affect on the car itself.More likely to be something simple like a rag or paper picked up and wrapped around the exhaust.Had a couple of cars really go up where the oil filter has blown or fallen out spraying the hot manifold with oil. That's pretty scary.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Unlikely, that would either cause it to go bang, or to actually catch fire in the engine bay, seemingly this was restricted to the exhaust system.

Tom
I've always been under the impression that any excess oil in the engine will find it's way to the cat and cause big problems.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Surely that's only if your engine oil leaks directly into your pots?

Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey mate.. never heard off it.. especially from a Honda engine.. main thing is that your ok.. cars under warranty!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've always been under the impression that any excess oil in the engine will find it's way to the cat and cause big problems.
Doesn't normally cause problems although any oil surging comes out the rocker cover breather if a race/track car into an oil catch can. On a normal car the breather hose feeds back into the intake pipe so is burn't in the combustion chambers all nice and safe.

Megga overfill will cause a sort of hydrolock and wreck the engine as it will stall the pistons/crank from underneath.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Thats terrible, what a shock for you but at least no one was hurt.

Did the paintwork not get damaged? I wouldn't want to drive it again and would definitely be pushing for a replacement as it is only a few days old and if they start messing about them you will take a full refund instead.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thats terrible, what a shock for you but at least no one was hurt.

Did the paintwork not get damaged? I wouldn't want to drive it again and would definitely be pushing for a replacement as it is only a few days old and if they start messing about them you will take a full refund instead.
Depends if they find he's driven over a big rag or sheet of paper that has wrapped around the exhaust. Hardly Honda's fault.

Guess will find out true cause in time but until then its all guesswork

1 - 20 of 62 Posts