2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

I've got a Pioneer AVH-X3700DAB to install over the weekend with the Pioneer CA AN DAB.001 windscreen antenna.

I've done some searching about how to best install this but couldn't find anything conclusive or full how to. Hopefully can clear on this thread and I'll post my experience when I do it.

Typical installation (on other cars) seems to be by removing the passenger A-Pillar and grounding the antenna there. However I am concerned about doing this because of the side airbags. Has anyone removed this and is it safe to do so?

Other options seem to be top of windscreen behind the mirror which would not involve removing the A-Pillar, would be tidy and a safer bet, but will I be able to ground it correctly and get a good signal?

I've read one post where it wasn't necessary to ground it, but I want to make sure I don't take the risk of not if I'm left with a rubbish signal.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you remove the a panel (with side airbags)? Did you have to disconnect anything?

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Removed the plastic trim sanded an area of A pillar stuck the metallic tab to it refitted the trim stuck the Ariel to windscreen about 5" from top didn't disconnect anything

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this done yesterday.

Fitted the aerial behind the windscreen mirror behind the black dotted area.
The metallic tab reached the roof metal. Routed the wire along roof lining, down drivers door seal and under steering wheel to the radio.

Reception more or less faultless on the likes of Radio 1 (DAB). Some other stations such as Team Rock can cut out a little in some areas i.e. more rural, or dipped.

Where I fit the radio (my parents) it was spot on signal before I even got the aerial attached to windscreen so I think I'm in a weaker signal area for it.

I didn't sand down the area where I stuck the metallic tab, so I may have a look on the weekend and see if I can sand a bit and re-stick. May improve reception.

But seems to be a good place for it as an alternative to the A-Pillar.

In terms of the radio install, next to no room behind the headunit for the cables it seemed. Not sure if the 3700DAB is deeper than the App Radios most have been installing but it was a struggle! I've got a camera to fit and the USB cable must have come loose too, so it'll be out again to tidy up when I have more light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 for top of windscreen, I did mine up the passenger A pillar and much further towards the nearside of the windscreen so it didn't affect my line of sight, also for the dash cam behind the interior mirror.
ditto no probs with signal either!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting some rough spots in signal but I'm quite close to airport. Using the online coverage checker doesn't get me much promise so I think that's my issue...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey,

I've got a Pioneer AVH-X3700DAB to install over the weekend with the Pioneer CA AN DAB.001 windscreen antenna.

I've done some searching about how to best install this but couldn't find anything conclusive or full how to. Hopefully can clear on this thread and I'll post my experience when I do it.

Typical installation (on other cars) seems to be by removing the passenger A-Pillar and grounding the antenna there. However I am concerned about doing this because of the side airbags. Has anyone removed this and is it safe to do so?

Other options seem to be top of windscreen behind the mirror which would not involve removing the A-Pillar, would be tidy and a safer bet, but will I be able to ground it correctly and get a good signal?

I've read one post where it wasn't necessary to ground it, but I want to make sure I don't take the risk of not if I'm left with a rubbish signal.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam.
Hi Adam,

How are you finding the Pioneer X3700DAB? I'm torn between getting this unit or the X5700DAB with the bigger screen.

Please could you tell me if the turn by turn navigation works using Google maps when you connect an android device?

Also, can you search by folder when using a USB flash drive so all the albums can be played separately.

Would you recommend the unit?

Thanks. Dan.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Adam,

How are you finding the Pioneer X3700DAB? I'm torn between getting this unit or the X5700DAB with the bigger screen.

Please could you tell me if the turn by turn navigation works using Google maps when you connect an android device?

Also, can you search by folder when using a USB flash drive so all the albums can be played separately.

Would you recommend the unit?

Thanks. Dan.
Hey Dan,

This might prove useful for usage: Pioneer user manual

I was torn between this and the App Radio models (SPH-DA120 or App Radio 3 being the latest). I chose this because of the DAB function. The screen on those models is capacitive which I wish the DAB models had but other than that, no regrets.

I use an HTC One **, and use MirrorLink to use Waze for sat nav but you could also use Google Maps or whatever else you use for navigation. Basically on mine you plug it in and it brings up car mode which is an HTC app which then lets you access any app on your phone via shortcuts you define. But I can also access my usual launcher and use the phone in full.

The mirrorlink functionality is full screen but on the HTC ** the mirrorlink functionality baked into the OS doesn't display the contents of the status/notification bar so you get black bar in it's place when connected. It hasn't bothered me as the screen space used is big enough.

There is a touch of lag between screen on phone and screen on head unit due to the USB mirrorlink but it's not caused me issues on navigation.

When I get a call, I can still pick it up over bluetooth when connected to mirrorlink.

Yes you can browse USB disks via folder, and you can also create a database on the device which organises music by artist/album.

Misc niggles I had:
- In settings there is a smartphone setup. In here you choose between App Radio, USB or Mirrorlink. This disables and enables features which I don't like. If I have it set to Mirrorlink and plug in a USB stick, it will not detect it. I have to go to that setting and switch it to USB. But when I want to use nav from my phone I change it back to Mirrorlink. I spent a while formatting various USB sticks thinking it was just having difficulty reading some of my sticks. Not obvious.
- App Radio mode on this is useless with Android over USB. Not one supported app other than their own which shows albums.
- Using mirrorlink on phones usually keeps your screen on. It's charging but phones get hot with screen on for long periods of time. You can get apps to turn the screen off without affecting head unit display.
- The Mode button is for when in App Radio Mode or MirrorLink, so you can switch between phones display and controlling DAB radio, bluetooth or whatever function you're using. Which is great, but I spent a week thinking it was broken when I couldn't switch between different functions i.e. DAB > Bluetooth.

You also messaged about DAB reception. Not bad. I'm using the Pioneer aerial which is separate. I live near the airport and on the DAB coverage checker my area isn't great for signal so in my village not great, but as soon as I get out the village it's pretty stable. Absolutely fine in less remote areas. I connected the DAB aerial to the remote amp wire for power but I'm not sure if that's working. I plan to take another look at that to make sure the aerial is getting power correctly.

All in all, yes I would recommend. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Dan,

This might prove useful for usage: Pioneer user manual

I was torn between this and the App Radio models (SPH-DA120 or App Radio 3 being the latest). I chose this because of the DAB function. The screen on those models is capacitive which I wish the DAB models had but other than that, no regrets.

I use an HTC One **, and use MirrorLink to use Waze for sat nav but you could also use Google Maps or whatever else you use for navigation. Basically on mine you plug it in and it brings up car mode which is an HTC app which then lets you access any app on your phone via shortcuts you define. But I can also access my usual launcher and use the phone in full.

The mirrorlink functionality is full screen but on the HTC ** the mirrorlink functionality baked into the OS doesn't display the contents of the status/notification bar so you get black bar in it's place when connected. It hasn't bothered me as the screen space used is big enough.

There is a touch of lag between screen on phone and screen on head unit due to the USB mirrorlink but it's not caused me issues on navigation.

When I get a call, I can still pick it up over bluetooth when connected to mirrorlink.

Yes you can browse USB disks via folder, and you can also create a database on the device which organises music by artist/album.

Misc niggles I had:
- In settings there is a smartphone setup. In here you choose between App Radio, USB or Mirrorlink. This disables and enables features which I don't like. If I have it set to Mirrorlink and plug in a USB stick, it will not detect it. I have to go to that setting and switch it to USB. But when I want to use nav from my phone I change it back to Mirrorlink. I spent a while formatting various USB sticks thinking it was just having difficulty reading some of my sticks. Not obvious.
- App Radio mode on this is useless with Android over USB. Not one supported app other than their own which shows albums.
- Using mirrorlink on phones usually keeps your screen on. It's charging but phones get hot with screen on for long periods of time. You can get apps to turn the screen off without affecting head unit display.
- The Mode button is for when in App Radio Mode or MirrorLink, so you can switch between phones display and controlling DAB radio, bluetooth or whatever function you're using. Which is great, but I spent a week thinking it was broken when I couldn't switch between different functions i.e. DAB > Bluetooth.

You also messaged about DAB reception. Not bad. I'm using the Pioneer aerial which is separate. I live near the airport and on the DAB coverage checker my area isn't great for signal so in my village not great, but as soon as I get out the village it's pretty stable. Absolutely fine in less remote areas. I connected the DAB aerial to the remote amp wire for power but I'm not sure if that's working. I plan to take another look at that to make sure the aerial is getting power correctly.

All in all, yes I would recommend. Hope that helps!
Brilliant reply. Thanks Adam. That's pretty much confirmed I'll be buying this head unit.

I wish it had a capacitive screen rather than a resistive screen but other than its specs seems to meet my requirements. The app radio 4 did look good when I had some hands on with on at Halfords but DAB is my main reason for upgrading my head unit.

Its not often I use sat nav so as long navigation software works when I connect my phone I'm happy.

I have an LG G3 so hopefully the mirrorlink works with my device.

I like to have all my music on a flash drive so confirmation that you can arrange them in Album and artists is perfect for my needs. I've only had my Civic a week and the poor sounding head unit as well as a lack of DAB and USB playback is something I need to address sooner rather than later.

Not being able to play music from a flash drive whilst using mirrorlink isn't ideal. I'm glad you mentioned this because it would of had me stumped! My DAB reception was fine in my previous car so I assume I live in an area with a strong reception.

The pros certainly out way the cons and I think the UI looks nice compared to the similarly priced Kenwood units.

Thanks again, Adam.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just realised I made a typo. Da120 is app radio 4! But yeah sounds like it'll fit the bill ☺

·
Registered
88 Posts
AVH-X5700DAB purchased and installed :)

I decided not to mount my DAB antenna on the window. Instead, I put it below the top trim above the head unit. Reception seems fine. This obviously means the antenna isn't ground. Is this likely to cause and problems?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's your signal like. You could probably run a cable from the copper backing to somewhere useful?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What did you connect the blue wire too out of curiosity? Mines connected to remote amp and made no difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tapped the blue and pink wire up. That's what it said on the installation instructions which came with the fitting kit.

I still need to ground the parking brake wire somewhere.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If that's the case, I really need to learn to read instructions!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The instructions said if your head unit has "bla bla bla" feature then connect to Blue wire to something.

I can't remember off the top of my head what it was and I'm at work at the moment so can't check. I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts