2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one considered or already upgraded their early (2012) 9th Gen Radio to latest (2013) DAB unit?

My Dealer is not sure of Conversion or Costs involved!

Any info would be welcome.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
£5-6,000 at last rough estimate for a customer who asked just that last week

Costs entail entirely new wiring loom, new aerial, new head unit and then the labour to pull the car apart, headlining out, dash out the lot.

Your dealer was probably being polite as if the look it up on the Web EPC system, it tells them every part and fitting time needed.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts

Costs entail entirely new wiring loom, new aerial, new head unit and then the labour to pull the car apart, headlining out, dash out the lot.
Probably give it a miss then?:facepalm:

·
Registered
429 Posts

Your dealer was probably being polite as if the look it up on the Web EPC system, it tells them every part and fitting time needed.
Now you explain it like that seems good value. Is this price for the ES-T or for the EX system?

My concern is will the car ever be rattle free again.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Now you explain it like that seems good value. Is this price for the ES-T or for the EX system?

My concern is will the car ever be rattle free again.
As far as I know its the ES-T version that we were asked about, the EX, being a higher spec would be more i'd suspect.

re squeaking, that was one of the reasons we tried to disuade the customer who asked. Dont get me wrong, £5-6,000 is a ot of money but then when the work is done and the parts are paid for, there isnt a lot left and when a fitting time is quoted as X hrs, it very rarely is that quick or easy.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Would anyone be able to clearly describe the benefits of DAB?

I never seem to have an problems listening to any station I want to? What's all the fuss about?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
You get more stations on DAB than on FM. For example, you can't get planet rock, 6 music etc on FM. My experience of DAB in cars isn't that great anyway since the coverage isn't brilliant. It's not like FM where you can get a so-so signal and continue listening...DAB is all or nothing (most of the time nothing if outside of London).

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Looks like it would be cheaper to sell your 2012 car and upgrade to the specific 2013 model with DAB if you really wanted it. But then again it would be a silly thing to do so as you would lose so much money in the process due to depreciation.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,259 Posts
The only difference I've noticed (London) is that FM has a habit of giving a periodic 'stutter' as I assume it's either found a stronger signal and has switched or........

..... I've also noticed that just seconds (5 - 10) before another station performs a RDS traffic update there is a slight millisecond pause. It's as though they have flicked a standby switch ready to intercept all linked stations. This isn't unique to this Civic as it was the same on my old one.

I tend to listen to Radio 2 on my way home (Steve Wright) so I get RDS intercepted by:

Radio Surrey
Radio Berkshire
Radio London (who rarely turn RDS off timely when the traffic is finished)
BBC 3 Counties (occasionally)

Using DAB I still get the RDS interception but no stuttering.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Looks like it would be cheaper to sell your 2012 car and upgrade to the specific 2013 model with DAB if you really wanted it. But then again it would be a silly thing to do so as you would lose so much money in the process due to depreciation.
Australia would have to wait till 2014 for DAB+.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wouldn't dream of either selling to upgrade, or indeed, just upgrading at the cost indicated.

I like the DAB selection of stations I get on my Home audio, but as I said will stick with FM for the Car!

·
Registered
429 Posts
The only station my family ever listen to is Premier Radio which is on Mediium Wave (1305 London only) and DAB (UK coverage.) The reception is very poor on Medium Wave and DAB would solve the problem.

Bearing in mind we also never use CDs (prefer USB and BlueTooth) the expensive radio unit is useless and a total waste of money.

There must be lots like me. I just cannot understand Honda wasting money bringing out a car without DAB but with old Radio & CD technology. Obviously they have realised now but at such cost for the 2012 buyers.

I do not want an EX as the leather seats are so very hard and lumpy compared with the cloth seats. Looks like I will have to choose betwen a new ES-T with DAB or have my existing car half demolished by people wjo probably will not be able to put it back togaether perfectly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only station my family ever listen to is Premier Radio which is on Mediium Wave (1305 London only) and DAB (UK coverage.) The reception is very poor on Medium Wave and DAB would solve the problem.

Bearing in mind we also never use CDs (prefer USB and BlueTooth) the expensive radio unit is useless and a total waste of money.

There must be lots like me. I just cannot understand Honda wasting money bringing out a car without DAB but with old Radio & CD technology. Obviously they have realised now but at such cost for the 2012 buyers.

I do not want an EX as the leather seats are so very hard and lumpy compared with the cloth seats. Looks like I will have to choose betwen a new ES-T with DAB or have my existing car half demolished by people wjo probably will not be able to put it back togaether perfectly.
How about streaming radio through your phone via Bluetooth. Mobile Internet coverage is far better than the appalling signal offered by dab outside of London.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Only station i listen to is a local FM one, do not know if they broadcast of DAB+.

If you want DAB+ there are cheaper options that you can connect to the AUX plugin the 8thgen civic and 9th gen(if it has it)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Cheaper to get a good 3g plan for your mobile and use the Tunein Radio App...
Is that DAB or just Internet Radio?

I'm with O2 at the moment and find the service very unreliable. I'm thinking about an EE 4G plan but whoever I ask about their reception all also seem to be unhappy with it - and this is North London. 3 gets the most satisfied customers but when I tried a laptop dongle on holiday it failed to get any connection at all and only 1 bar at home.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts