2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that from January 2013, DAB will be an option for the 9G. As this is something I had years ago and lost when I had my 8G for 5 years and again when I moved to 9G, I thought things were finally moving in the right direction.

I mailed Honda UK to see if they would be introducing a DAB upgrade option at any time? Response was...

"A DAB accessory will soon be released which will enable current audio units to be able to receive signal for digital radio.
This will be an optional extra/accessory, so will not be provided as a complimentary upgrade.
Once available, the new accessory will be available to purchase through your local Honda dealership."

"Currently there isn't a confirmed date for the release of this accessory.
Please accept our apologies for any disappointment this may cause."

I have seen other bolt-on DAB unit, but because of the problems I had with idle stop, I wanted to wait for an official Honda product.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I see that from January 2013, DAB will be an option for the 9G. As this is something I had years ago and lost when I had my 8G for 5 years and again when I moved to 9G, I thought things were finally moving in the right direction.

I mailed Honda UK to see if they would be introducing a DAB upgrade option at any time? Response was...

"A DAB accessory will soon be released which will enable current audio units to be able to receive signal for digital radio.
This will be an optional extra/accessory, so will not be provided as a complimentary upgrade.
Once available, the new accessory will be available to purchase through your local Honda dealership."

"Currently there isn't a confirmed date for the release of this accessory.
Please accept our apologies for any disappointment this may cause."

I have seen other bolt-on DAB unit, but because of the problems I had with idle stop, I wanted to wait for an official Honda product.

I guess it will be a dealer fit option that connects to the aux in port and a firmware update for the i-MID.. Good to know it's going to be an option.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hopefully it will be a little more integrated than a 3rd party unit so that it actually shows station info on the main display and can be controlled via the wheel.

Good news for current 9G owners or those considering a used 9g next year (me).

Hope the price is sensible, but I bet it isn't.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think the 9g is behind the times, DAB is standard on Focus and Golf.

Yes. As are most other manufacturers other than Ford and VW.

It is a euro/uk centric standard, so most global market car companies are not going to give this kind of standard a lot of attention in a relative backwater.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hope the unit supports DAB+ as well. Australia ran trials with DAB since early 2000's however the official transmissions are now in DAB+ (as it is a more efficient standard).

For the aerial, I wonder if it will be a windscreen stick-on or a replacement to the shark fin unit?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Any further news on when the aftermarket upgrade will be available? I have 8G 1.8Si
FYI, this will only be applicable to the 9G.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Excellent. I can't wait to place my order.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As we're now into 2013, I recently contacted Honda again to see if they had any update on when their DAB add on would be available. Answer was...

"Details regarding the release of the DAB accessory has still yet to be confirmed.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause."

Think I might have to try the Sonichi S1000 mentioned by Pesky36...

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
The MY13 comes with DAB+

Not sure if it's all models but the EX certainly does :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
DAB seems to be only available on the EX at the moment and possibly on diesels only.

bikeeandy: please let us know when Honda confirms availability of the DAB accessory?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Most capital cities in Australia are using DAB+ at the moment. Coverage is only available in the metropolitan areas though. The stations consist of stereo simulcasts of existing AM stations and a selection of DAB only stations. Sound quality is noticeably clearer but as with terrestrial DTV you need a good signal otherwise you get annoying dropouts. I'm not certain what the plan is for non - metro /regional areas. I suspect more digital radio spectrum will be allocated once the analogue TV switch off is completed Dec 2013.

Slightly off topic- by the way, the "series 2" hatch specs are on the Honda Aust website now. I've noticed that they've despecced the top end model by deleting premium sound but add sat-nav (finally!). At least you get keyless start on the mid model now. On the base model is where they've improved the spec the most (bluetooth / streaming, reverse camera, cruise control, false floor in boot, tweeter in door). Puzzles me why Honda Aust didn't spec the car correctly in the first place.

Next time I buy a new Honda I will wait for the Series 2 release to come out first.

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
Most capital cities in Australia are using DAB+ at the moment. Coverage is only available in the metropolitan areas though. The stations consist of stereo simulcasts of existing AM stations and a selection of DAB only stations. Sound quality is noticeably clearer but as with terrestrial DTV you need a good signal otherwise you get annoying dropouts. I'm not certain what the plan is for non - metro /regional areas. I suspect more digital radio spectrum will be allocated once the analogue TV switch off is completed Dec 2013.

Slightly off topic- by the way, the "series 2" hatch specs are on the Honda Aust website now. I've noticed that they've despecced the top end model by deleting premium sound but add sat-nav (finally!). At least you get keyless start on the mid model now. On the base model is where they've improved the spec the most (bluetooth / streaming, reverse camera, cruise control, false floor in boot, tweeter in door). Puzzles me why Honda Aust didn't spec the car correctly in the first place.

Next time I buy a new Honda I will wait for the Series 2 release to come out first.
Exactly what I did over here and I benefited by:

Fixed iMid
DAB+
Front and rear sensors

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
At one time I would have said that HID's are infinitely better than a yellow Halogen beam but I was told fairly recently that with modern Halogen bulbs there isn't that much difference ?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts