2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :( :( Driving last night and a i saw a stone fly towards me and.......CRACK.....nice little star burst on the windscreen :( :( :(

Luckily i didn't hit the paint work and it should be low enough not to effect the MOT standard, hope to have repaired today or it might be a new screen, which I can see as being a pain to replace with the sensors and stuff.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Will your insurance cover it?

Like you say at least it wasnt the paintwork but still a real bummer !! :?

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
That's very annoying! With a new car I can only imagine.

With our winter tyres we have lots of damage from the metal studs that come out of older tyres. I just hate the sound of something hitting the windscreen. And sometimes you can see them coming at you but obviously can't do anything about it. :evil: You never know how bad your car has been hit.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Topcat said:
Will your insurance cover it?

Like you say at least it wasnt the paintwork but still a real bummer !! :?
Insurance will cover a repair free of charge but replacement is usually £50-60 excess

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Tough luck, Kpow99.

Are you sure it can't be repaired. They can do some fantastic repairs

on windscreens now . :(

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I had one on my Mondeo right in the line of sight, but it wasn't classed is big/deep enough to be able to do the magic fill, more of a surface scratch than a deep chip. You forget it's there eventually if you have to live with it.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I was on the motorway last week, and a stone hit the bonnet and chipped

the paint. I'm waiting for the dealer to get some touch-in paint.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elfa7 said:
Tough luck, Kpow99.

Are you sure it can't be repaired. They can do some fantastic repairs

on windscreens now . :(
I'm sure it can be repaired, just replying to Topcat.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from AutoWindscreens :( :( :( not good news I'm afraid.

I was chatting to the guy repairing the screen and he thought it looked dubious to repair as it was a star burst rather than a chip and that it might creep. While he was indise the car doing something to the back of the repair it zipped to the bottom of the screen and while we were both looking it started to creep up too.

New windscreen on it's way, he asked if I wanted Honda glass :wink: :wink: nudge nudge as opposed to 3rd party stuff (just say yes) and placed order, of course the car is so new they don't have it listed on the system fully yet.

So next Thursday in for replacement, bit upset that my new baby needs to be fixed and always worried it won't be back to new, oh well **** happens. :( :( :(

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Sorry Kpow99.

Sods Law really. You can have an old banger for years, no wind-screen

probs. you get a new motor, and wallop !! :roll: :roll:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Yea sorry to hear that, as I mentioned before I had a new windscreen put in my new Mondeo and it was fine for the 4 years I've had it so don't worry :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Just an update on mine - the night I got home with my new Civic I noticed what looked like a paint chip in the underside of the drivers side pillar near the wing mirror, you can only really see it as you get in the car with the door open, I kept it on my mental list of things to speak to aftersales about. I also had scratches on both front door armrests on the silver plastic.

Touch wood that's all I can fault having had it for 10 days now so I've just got back from the dealership having shown them. They are going to replace both door panels from an ES that they have in which are the same panels... it is booked in for Monday to have the paintwork on the pillar touched up overnight.

Can I just say, EXCELLENT service from Michael at DeVries Honda (Stockton-On-Tees), there is an easy argument for any garage to refuse to do anything about what *may* be a stonechip although I obviously find it hard to believe having only done 20 miles and it's in the most obscure part of the pillar :)

I'll post a pic later so we can do a before/after once it's repaired on Monday...

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE

Took it in to RAC AutoWindscreens yesterday, orginally said 1 hour to fit and 1 hour for initial set, got back there and in 1 hour and sitting outside nicely taped up. Told me to drive home carefully and not to drive to fast and should be ok in 24 hours and fully set in 1 week.

Did a really good job, nice and tidy and got my parking passes etc. stuck back on too.

Nice new Honda screen and great workmanship, and no leaks after last nights rain, just dreading the next stone ship :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts