2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me with this...

I bought my civic a couple of weeks back (08 1.8).

I have had a couple of occasions where the battery had died after having the ignition on, radio on (but no engine) for about 5 minutes, and then the battery was totally drained.

I have had the battery tested, and halfords think its fine, but the garage I bought it from is convinced it is a battery problem (due to its age) rather than a drain problem.

Any ideas?

Andy

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
The battery may not be able to hold a charge for very long due to it being flattened, even if it looks fine in the short term. How often are you having flat battery issues and how often do you use the car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi syx,

I've had it 3 times in 2 weeks. Each time (stupidly) I was in the car with the radio on for literally 3-5 minutes, then try to start the engine and the battery is dead! It gets used everyday, and does lots of 50+ mile trips (about 4 per week).

I'm hoping that it is just a dead battery, but like I said the tests all looked good.

Andy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also,

Is it possible to do the parasitic draw test with the radio etc switched on? (engine off) and if so, what sort of current draw should be expected?

Cheers

Andy

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
The battery is a known issue and running the radio will easily flatten it.
You can do a draw test, here's some advice and the suggestion of 50mA is a good one as this is what I was seeing on mine when I tested it (and all was good).

·
What ya at
841 Posts
I got about 6 years out the original battery in our 1.8 before it started acting up. And my 07 type r battery was struggling, so i had to replace that a couple months back. Cox honda have them for 60.00

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I was told many years ago that it a car battery is allowed to fully drain (lights left on for example) then unless it is re-charged properly then it will continue to drain on it's own.

I don't know how true but he said that batteries had 2 areas of charge. The first area charge has to be performed very slowly via a trickle charge and then the more intense area 2 charge takes over to complete the job.

If you just let the alternator perform the charging then all that happens is the area 2 charge is performed but the area 1 is still empty and will drag it down.

Could be a load of old tosh but I had this issue on a Metro some years ago (lights left on) and after a proper trickle charge it did start holding it's charge for more than a few days which it was failing to do before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My battery oddly drained the other day, didnt leave anything on or anything, had to bump it to get it going.

Left the car for a week as went away on holiday, got back and it started fine.

Really wierd

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I was told many years ago that it a car battery is allowed to fully drain (lights left on for example) then unless it is re-charged properly then it will continue to drain on it's own.
what can happen with a battery thats on it's way out is if there is a duff cell within the battery the rest of the cells try to maintain the same voltage across all the cells including the duff one
unfortunately all this does is pull down the voltage of the good cells to the level of the bad one over time which basically drains the battery

it's always a good idea to trickle charge a flat battery rather than pushing loads of current through it like an alternator would or jump starting because of the nature of lead acid batteries ( or most types of batteries ) the tend to accept as much current within reason that is offered by the charger and the lower the voltage the battery is at charge time the more current it will accept until the battery is brought back up to it's normal voltage levels
iv'e heard people say that by using too much current it can buckle the cells but not being 100% sure what they mean by buckling the cells i usually just say it can damage them
if you limit the amount of current ( trickle charge ) the battery can draw it lessens the chance of damage and as the battery comes up to the correct voltage it will naturally draw less current

i think that is what is meant by the 2 stage charging

1 - 11 of 11 Posts