2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help?!! I have removed my rear plate to fit a Jap style one but I can't get rid of the old number plate tape/foam...does anyone have any ideas/tips on removing this sticky stuff?!!

I'm all out of patience and elbow grease.....:(

·
Administrator
15,501 Posts
Can anyone help?!! I have removed my rear plate to fit a Jap style one but I can't get rid of the old number plate tape/foam...does anyone have any ideas/tips on removing this sticky stuff?!!

I'm all out of patience and elbow grease.....:(
Get as much off as you can then apply some tar and glue remover to get rid of the residue, white spirits even

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
WD40 and a cloth will get it up too requires little more rubbing though

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Wouldn't go anywhere near my car with white spirits or nail varnish remover :facepalm:

OP try this mate - Autosmart Tardis | Professional Strength Tar & Honeydew Remover
:rofl:
"Autosmart Tardis is a professional strength tar and glue remover that safely and effectively removes bonded organic contaminants from all exterior vehicle surfaces. Its spirit-based formula enables almost all forms of bonded organic contaminants to be safely removed in a relatively short space of time. Not only is this time saving a major benefit, but the risk of causing surface marring during the subsequent claying stage (which is still required for inorganic contaminant removal) is greatly reduced too, as there is far less chance of large particles of organic debris becoming trapped between the clay bar and the paint and then being moved around. The only time caution is required is when fresh paint has been applied and has not been cured, i.e. in the period immediately after a SMART repair is performed. In such cases, the use of Autosmart Tardis should be avoided as, being spirit-based, it does have the potential to dissolve fresh, uncured paint."
Yeah go for that, it's ingredients are only fairy dust and unicorn.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Ive used hg sticker remover to good effect in the past... Pretty good stuff. Just remember to 'soak' the foam tape with whatever you are using before you try getting it off.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wouldn't go anywhere near my car with white spirits or nail varnish remover :facepalm:

OP try this mate - Autosmart Tardis | Professional Strength Tar & Honeydew Remover
Thanks for all the help, tried most of them already, nail varnish remover, white spirit, WD40 (no damage to paint as far as I can see)....nowt is budging it, might try this or the Tar remover, failing that might try petrol, at least my Sunday is filled..many thanks!

·
Administrator
15,501 Posts
Thanks for all the help, tried most of them already, nail varnish remover, white spirit, WD40 (no damage to paint as far as I can see)....nowt is budging it, might try this or the Tar remover, failing that might try petrol, at least my Sunday is filled..many thanks!
Get a small 500ml bottle of Autosmart tardis off ebay, best tar/glue remover out there, where are you based? if you're near me you can have a bit of mine to try

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get a small 500ml bottle of Autosmart tardis off ebay, best tar/glue remover out there, where are you based? if you're near me you can have a bit of mine to try
Thanks for the offer but I'm in Kent, been searching for tips on google and this came up, don't know if anyone's used this:

Halfords | Loctite Glue Remover

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For anyone interested, I managed to get rid of all traces of the sticky number plate tape...even without scraping most of the foam off before hand.

I used Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover, the strips where 1"x6" dimension, I soaked them in the Tar remover, waited 1-2 mins then scraped with a 'credit card' scraper...had to repeat process a few times but it softened the glue pretty well.

Now cleaned and re-waxed, many thanks peeps!!:D:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts