2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hope you're well.

I've recently bought an 08 civic, and have noticed a damp smell when the AC is switched on.

I did some research and people suggested that it might be due to a valve which needs releasing, or maybe there is some mould in the system.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, any ideas of fixes?

Andy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Hi Andy,

Check the condition of the pollen filter, which is located underneath the glove compartment area on the right side. If it is very dirty, that might be causing the damp smell inside the car.

I recently checked mine and it was filthy! Changed the pollen filter myself and the fan was blowing much quieter and the air felt fresh again!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Andy,

Check the condition of the pollen filter, which is located underneath the glove compartment area on the right side. If it is very dirty, that might be causing the damp smell inside the car.

I recently checked mine and it was filthy! Changed the pollen filter myself and the fan was blowing much quieter and the air felt fresh again!
Same problem here. Pollen filter was wet and smelled stale. Wonder where the water comes from to make it wet? Changed pollen filter, but sprayed new filter heavily with aftershave before fitting...nice smells guaranteed now.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Be careful removing that pollen filter mate, shake it about too much removing it and there's gonna be a lot of dead bugs flying about after you've changed it and cranked the blowers up :)

Can't remember the name of it but your local Auto Store will have this stuff that comes in a can, you switch your Air/Con up full belt with it on recirculate and then set the can off, get out quick and shut the door. Sanitises the Air/Con system, useful doing this at the same time you change your filter..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Be careful removing that pollen filter mate, shake it about too much removing it and there's gonna be a lot of dead bugs flying about after you've changed it and cranked the blowers up :)

Can't remember the name of it but your local Auto Store will have this stuff that comes in a can, you switch your Air/Con up full belt with it on recirculate and then set the can off, get out quick and shut the door. Sanitises the Air/Con system, useful doing this at the same time you change your filter..
I looked at these air con 'de odourisers' in Halfords, but cant see for the life of me how they can claim to clean the air con system. You put the air con on full, deploy the can of stuff, close the doors, and wait 10 minutes or so. How does this sanitise/de odourise the air con system? The air con takes atmospheric air, chills it, and blows it into the car interior. The process is repeated... it's not the same air being constantly re-cycled by the system, surely?
Presumably the 'can of stuff' simply de odourises the car interior, ie carpets, seat material. It doesn't actually clean the air con system, right?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Press the recycle button on the HVAC controls

I've got a Bilt Hamber one to use on my project Puma; probably tomorrow. I'll report back if it's any good.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I looked at these air con 'de odourisers' in Halfords, but cant see for the life of me how they can claim to clean the air con system. You put the air con on full, deploy the can of stuff, close the doors, and wait 10 minutes or so. How does this sanitise/de odourise the air con system? The air con takes atmospheric air, chills it, and blows it into the car interior. The process is repeated... it's not the same air being constantly re-cycled by the system, surely?
Presumably the 'can of stuff' simply de odourises the car interior, ie carpets, seat material. It doesn't actually clean the air con system, right?
Set the air-con to recirculate so it recycles the air in the cabin and draws the sanitiser through the system.

The only downside with this is that you eventually run out of oxygen in the cabin and suffocate to death.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Set the air-con to recirculate so it recycles the air in the cabin and draws the sanitiser through the system.

The only downside with this is that you eventually run out of oxygen in the cabin and suffocate to death.
At least it won't be wiffy for you if the extreme happens :facepalm:

·
Registered
286 Posts

The air con system is sealed. It can only draw sanitizer through the facia/ foot well vents, and the pollen filter. It's a glorified air freshener, that's all. Cheaper and more effective to replace the pollen filter. Setting a/c to re circulate will keep the 'air freshener' in the car for a bit longer.
I like the suffocation bit, though. Funny. Very important to read all of the instructions :)

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
The aircon circuit is sealed. The pipework that carries air into the cabin isn't. The smells come from that pipework and the pollen filter.

Used the sanitiser on the Puma last night. Not a bad smell. Time will tell if passing stuff round that pipework for 5 minutes has neutralised the mild odours that have built up over 14 years.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think that the smell is normal when you first switch on the AC, I've this will several previous makes of cars. The water build up is moisture.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Turning off the AC with fan running before the end of the journey helps it to dry out.

Puma AC distinctly non musty now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts