2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I know you get what you pay for.

But... as I'm trading my Type R in a couple of months I wanted to minimise my expenses and not invest on costly Bridestones with a new car on the way soon. So when I had a damaged tyre I replaced it with a pair of budget tyres from a reputable tyre supplier which I had put on the rear axle.

I've used budget tyres before and they've been OK, but obviously they wear out faster, have less overall grip etc etc. I had low expectations, but oh dear.

These are downright dangerous. I hope that they might rubber in a little, but at the moment the back feels like it is going to step out just changing lanes at 50mph!!! Tyre pressure OK, it actually feels like the back isn't connected to the road.

The tyre shop which we've used for almost 10 years says they will take them in and send them off for checks and potential refund. But it doesn't sound too hopeful. I'll be speaking to the manager no doubt. Has anyone else experienced budget tyres recently who can vouch that they can be at least safe?!

Looking at £200 quid down the drain at the moment!! Budget but not cheap!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I got 2 part worns fitted for £20 each on my last car when selling.. best tyres iv ever had, literally brand new! with stubbly bits still on

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
what brand were the budget tyres you had fitted out of interested, nankang?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
i used to have a peugeot 206 and because it was cheap i put cheap tyres on it massive mistake as soon as it rained it was like driving on ice. There is no way i would ever put cheap tyres on my civic. Altho understandable if you are getting rid of it.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are called Rainpart. £100 per tyre fitted. I wouldn't have minded poor wet performance but these are horrific in the dry too. Just turning on a gentle bend on a dual carriageway at 50 was beyond these. I don't think they have reinforced sidewalls, plus the tread blocks have the consistency similar to a rubber cork.

I can't hear tyre squeal just a feeling of complete disconnection. Like a track rod or control arm was broken. Only I know the car is mechanically sound.

I wish I had just thrown some part worns but doubted they'd stock the size and figured a matching pair would be safer. I was wrong. I tempted to put my damaged Bridgestone back on. They are that poor.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Falkens is a half decent choice
Unfortunately they don't stock Falkens. I trusted these guys to give me something half decent.

If I had brought a cheap razor blade it won't be as good as Gillete Mach 5 Turbo whatever but it would still do the job for a bit without trying to kill me!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
i needed a couple of budget tyres recently due to lack of cash and opted for a couple of Lexani's. Actually worked out well, these are a decent couple of tyres, and at £55 a pop for a 225/40/18's worked out as cheap as chips. not a bad looking tyre either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I put Federals on the front of CTR last Xmas at £95 a corner, have to say i find them fine, no probs with them at all..

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i had budgets on my car when i bought it, drove for 6 months and decided i needed to replace them, now got ultra sessantas and a massive improvement

·
Registered
218 Posts
Your local tyre supplier saw you coming mate, like has been said falkens on camskill plus fitting would have been less.

But I know its hard sometimes when your in a fix and need some tyres on quick, been there myself in the past.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never really considered part worns as you dont know if they have had a knock. Also tyres even over a short time will take up the pattern of your geometry.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Right, I know you get what you pay for ...

Looking at £200 quid down the drain at the moment!! Budget but not cheap!
Seems a lot to pay for two "cheap" tyres. Two years Central Tyre sold me a Bridgestone for £75.01 including valve, balancing, environmental disposal and VAT.

Marlburian

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your local tyre supplier saw you coming mate, like has been said falkens on camskill plus fitting would have been less.

But I know its hard sometimes when your in a fix and need some tyres on quick, been there myself in the past.
Think the guy I dealt with absolutely couldn't care less. This guys Formula One are generally on the money with deals including back pricing and are comparable to Black Circles. Unfortunately both times the Civic has needed new boots has been an emergency. I could have gone eBay but as for part worns you don't know what has happened to the tyre.

Seems plenty of people have gone with budget brands and had no issues with normal use. Considering my rear Yoko's had done about four trackdays, 20k miles over 3 years and still have 4mm on them, you might expect budget options to manage straight lines. As mentioned above they are certainly not that cheap!

Going to take the tyre manage out on a demo drive and ask him if he believes a tyre this bad should be on sale at all. I would say they shouldn't. I certainly don't want be near someone running a set of these tyres on their car. Potentially lethal is my opinion.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems a lot to pay for two "cheap" tyres. Two years Central Tyre sold me a Bridgestone for £75.01 including valve, balancing, environmental disposal and VAT.

Marlburian
These were £75 each before VAT and fitting. But this car runs 225/35 R19 which are the option rim tyre on a relatively rare motor so fewer suppliers. Don't think many other cars run this size either. Quite a narrow tyre for the profile.

My next car due in Sept has 275/35 R19 at the back, so I'll be taking a mortgage out to replace those!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts