2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I will keep this short and factual based

We have a beautiful young girl (Ellie) who is a 4 year old Labrador Staffy cross. We rescued her from a dogs home when she was 1 and for the last 3 years she has been an amazing dog, she loves everyone, kids, adults and old people and is the dopiest thing you've ever met! She loves anyone and everyone, dogs, cats, people. To be fair we couldn't have asked for a better dog as she is so well behaved.

There is a dog down the other end of our road (a male labradoodle) it is bigger than our dog and he has always come across as very agressive. We had no trouble for a few months but once I was walking the dog past their house when I heard lots of growling, next thing their front door swang open and this labradoodle came flying out. It charged towards Ellie and I managed to get inbetween the two of them for long enough for the owner to casually come walking out and drag it back in. The owner didn't apologise but I thought no harm done, everyone was a bit shaken up but it was ok.

A few months later the same thing happened again in a very similar fashion whilst my Dad was walking Ellie. Again no apology! I'm not sure if this dog does this to other dogs but it appeared to hate our dog (who knows what goes through a dogs head!)

Anyway, a long time had passed since any more incidents have occured. The most drama we've had was growling when walking past each other on the road (the owner sometimes puts their dog on a lead, sometimes doesn't)

This morning my Dad took Ellie out and whilst out around the neighbourhood on a walk, their dog charged from nowhere growling towards Ellie. It bit Ellie on the neck and my Dad got caught up in Ellies lead which meant he fell over (he's a man of almost 60 and is now covered in scrages and we think sprained his wrist) whilst this dog was attacking Ellie, the owner was a good distance down the road just casually walking towards the incident like it was normal! My Dad managed to kick get this viscious dog off Ellie. Ellie was very shook up and has been moping around the house since. She has a few scratches and minor bite marks but luckily she has escaped without serious injury. My Dad had a right go at the owner and he denied that his dog was agressive, denied that his dog has attacked ours on many ocassions and denied that his dog should always be on a lead.

Apart from the fact that this could have been a young child that had been visciously attacked, the owner seems to be a complete moron and lacks any common sense or integrity and won't even admit to his dogs wrong doigns.

Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed? This can't go on - we've changed our walk pattern so that we don't go past their house anymore but we still see the dog on the estate. Our dog is always kept on her lead regardless, this dog is usually not but sometimes is.

Sorry if this is rushed, just quickly posted this up whilst it's still fresh and I haven't proof read it back! :eek:

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh also - I forgot to add that they also let their dog crap all over the road and they don't pick it up. Very irresponsible owners in my opinion!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I'd say report it and take photo's of Ellie and your Dad's injuries. As you say, one day it could be a child that it attacks.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
yep, report to police, take photos of injuries, the owner can be prosecuted, you could even have the plonker on judge rinder, but they would love that

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
So basically it's acted aggressively in the past and on this occasion actually attacked your dog. Dogs are generally playful or aggressive towards each other which is their nature.

What worries me more is the owner not being in control of his dog and it being out in public spaces. I suggest you report what's happened to the Police. It's unfortunate your Dad fell over but the Police won't do anything about that unless he was bitten, that's a different situation entirely.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hi RY_B,

Report this to the police, It may be too late to do anything but at least you will have the complaint logged.
If it was to happen again which I'm sure it will then the police will do something about it due to the complaint being logged.
They may also go round and have a chat with your neighbour about keeping his dog on a leash at all times.
I have a 2 year old bearded collie never shows any aggression , everybody's friend and loves children and other dogs.
My neighbour who I get on well with has a 5 year old labradoodle and her dog and mine were the best of pals and played round the back all day.
Until one day he ferociously attacked my dog out of the blue , blood everywhere and my dog was left with bite marks all over.
The Labradoodle now goes into an aggressive frenzy everytime he sees my dog and other dogs.
Only explanation I can think of is my neighbour told me she changed her dogs diet to a raw meat diet , either that or he was happy to play with my dog until it became fully grown and maybe became a threat

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Report it and tell your neighbour your father will pursue a claim for injury compensation against him too if he doesn't take his dog owning responsibility seriously. Seems like you have been a perfectly reasonable neighbour but some people just don't take a hint.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
if their dog is aggressive in any way towards other dogs, they should keep it on lead at all times, and shouldn't let it off running around when they are aware of it's potential when it comes across another dog, even if it is just yours!

We keep our dog on a lead until we get to a wide open space with nobody about, just because she's quite powerful and she can sometimes get nervous when other dogs approach her and try to get a good sniff of her behind in! She's gentle, but keeping her on a lead means that if another dog approaches her, we have her under control, as all dogs should be. Whether that requires a lead or not.

Keep us updated on what happens!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
just in case you missed reading the GOV website

1. Overview
It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, eg:

in a public place
in a private place (eg a neighbour’s house or garden)
in the owner’s home
The law applies to all dogs.

Some types of dogs are banned.

Out of control
Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them
A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if:

it injures someone’s animal
the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal
A farmer is allowed to kill your dog if it’s worrying their livestock.

Penalties
You can be fined up to £20,000 or sent to prison for up to 6 months (or both) if your dog is dangerously out of control. You may not be allowed to own a dog in the future and your dog may be destroyed.

If you let your dog injure someone you can be sent to prison for up to 5 years or fined (or both). If you deliberately use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with ‘malicious wounding’.

If you allow your dog to kill someone you can be sent to prison for up to 14 years or get an unlimited fine (or both).

If you allow your dog to injure a guide dog you can be sent to prison for up to 3 years or fined (or both).

the law is on your side what you do about it is up to you
if you don't want to go as far as reporting the dog and owner to the authorities maybe making the owner aware that he and his dog a breaking the law ( hand him a print out of the above website ) and you will take it further if anything happens in the future

like already said the next victim could be a child

·
Registered
85 Posts
if you don't want to go as far as reporting the dog and owner to the authorities maybe making the owner aware that he and his dog a breaking the law ( hand him a print out of the above website ) and you will take it further if anything happens in the future
good idea

or stick it through their letter box if you want to remain anonymous, you may not be the only "victim"

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Really angered by how this guy doesn't seem to care when his dog is attacking others. The fact that this dog is aggressive, uncontrolled and has an owner who doesn't care what his dog does, he should not be owning a dog at all...

Report it. Absolutely make sure your report highlights that this dog has attacked yours more than once and has caused injury, and drop in that the owner doesn't seem to bothered about trying to control it. They will not ignore reports like that.

This guy really should not own a dog, and an uncontrolled, aggressive dog is a serious problem.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Only explanation I can think of is my neighbour told me she changed her dogs diet to a raw meat diet
This is a bad idea unless you really know what you're doing. Sudden dietary change from processed foods to raw meats is just about the worse thing you can do to your dog, it has to be very slow and progressive or you could cause some pretty severe behavioral change and health problems.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Hi all

I will keep this short and factual based

We have a beautiful young girl (Ellie) who is a 4 year old Labrador Staffy cross. We rescued her from a dogs home when she was 1 and for the last 3 years she has been an amazing dog, she loves everyone, kids, adults and old people and is the dopiest thing you've ever met! She loves anyone and everyone, dogs, cats, people. To be fair we couldn't have asked for a better dog as she is so well behaved.

There is a dog down the other end of our road (a male labradoodle) it is bigger than our dog and he has always come across as very agressive. We had no trouble for a few months but once I was walking the dog past their house when I heard lots of growling, next thing their front door swang open and this labradoodle came flying out. It charged towards Ellie and I managed to get inbetween the two of them for long enough for the owner to casually come walking out and drag it back in. The owner didn't apologise but I thought no harm done, everyone was a bit shaken up but it was ok.

A few months later the same thing happened again in a very similar fashion whilst my Dad was walking Ellie. Again no apology! I'm not sure if this dog does this to other dogs but it appeared to hate our dog (who knows what goes through a dogs head!)

Anyway, a long time had passed since any more incidents have occured. The most drama we've had was growling when walking past each other on the road (the owner sometimes puts their dog on a lead, sometimes doesn't)

This morning my Dad took Ellie out and whilst out around the neighbourhood on a walk, their dog charged from nowhere growling towards Ellie. It bit Ellie on the neck and my Dad got caught up in Ellies lead which meant he fell over (he's a man of almost 60 and is now covered in scrages and we think sprained his wrist) whilst this dog was attacking Ellie, the owner was a good distance down the road just casually walking towards the incident like it was normal! My Dad managed to kick get this viscious dog off Ellie. Ellie was very shook up and has been moping around the house since. She has a few scratches and minor bite marks but luckily she has escaped without serious injury. My Dad had a right go at the owner and he denied that his dog was agressive, denied that his dog has attacked ours on many ocassions and denied that his dog should always be on a lead.

Apart from the fact that this could have been a young child that had been visciously attacked, the owner seems to be a complete moron and lacks any common sense or integrity and won't even admit to his dogs wrong doigns.

Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed? This can't go on - we've changed our walk pattern so that we don't go past their house anymore but we still see the dog on the estate. Our dog is always kept on her lead regardless, this dog is usually not but sometimes is.

Sorry if this is rushed, just quickly posted this up whilst it's still fresh and I haven't proof read it back! :eek:
The labradoodle is basically jealous that Ellie's owner drives a Civic.
seriously though report it, it could be a child that gets attacked, irresponsible dog owners wind me up, some good points made already

1 - 17 of 17 Posts