2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I bought a das-6 on here second hand a while ago, and have just come across it again in the garage, so thought I'd give it a blast. Came with 2 pads, and a bottle of red moose machine glaze.
Problem is the pads dont seem to be labeled in any way, so am unsure which is best suited to finishing.
I was going to give the car a foam and wash, maybe clay it, then give it a go with the glaze. Pads that came with it look like hexlogics, one black and one white. Would I be correct that the white is for finishing and the black for more aggressive polishing?
Also, am open to any tips on what else I need, or would be useful, without spending a fortune.

Edit - found a pic from when I bought it

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
other way around, white for polishing and black for finishing if you want swirl removal then you will need a cutting polish like meguiars 205. Have a look in the cleaning section at the sticky of mine regarding dual action machine polishing

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, looking at the pads again, not sure if they are hexlogic. Have the hex shaped on pad, but no branding, and circumference of pad is not radiused, is it possible to tell the abrasion of the pad by touch, or shall I bite the bullet and just buy new.

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Thanks guys, looking at the pads again, not sure if they are hexlogic. Have the hex shaped on pad, but no branding, and circumference of pad is not radiused, is it possible to tell the abrasion of the pad by touch, or shall I bite the bullet and just buy new.
The firmer the pad then generally it's more aggressive, most pad colours from manufacturers are white polishing back finishing, more aggressive pads are usually orange, green etc

This is a sticky in the cleaning section along with other useful threads

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cleaning/157177-polishing-pad-chart.html

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
It's definitely more advised to have multiple of each so you don't have to wash or clean them, mid-way through the whole car.

I would personally just try the pads out in a test area and see how quickly/slowly they remove the swirls, then consider your options

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
You should be able to feel a difference in the pads run your fingers over them. Like Wayne said also be a pad that's firmer than the other.

I reckon there's a chance they are Hexlogic bought from cleanyourcar with the polisher, so white is polishing and black finishing.

I don't know of any other supplier of hex pads other than Flexipads and they use same combo as CG for white and black pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts