2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking to install one for a while now, a lot of hit and run cases in London.

Anyone can recommend a few since I have no knowledge on dash cams at all.

Thanks in advance

·
4,562 Posts
Which?'s best buy is the Nextbase 612 GW at about £250 if you want 4k footage, followed closely by the Nextbase 312 GW @ about £95. I have the 312 and it's pretty good.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
If you're going to fit a dashcam then get a 2 channel unit so that you record action both front and rear.

I'm using a Thinkware F770 which works well. It's discrete and small - it doesn't have it's own screen, so you WiFi to it from your phone on the odd occasion that you need to.

If you are looking at this thread thru a browser, then scroll to the bottom to see related threads for you to peruse ;)

Let us know what you choose.

·
4,562 Posts
Thinkware X150, (not the one Farqui was referring to) is near the top of their 'Don't buy' list.

Which? Thinkware F750 comments.
Impressive features, footage is average55%
Built-in wi-fi, lane departure alerts, speed camera warnings.
No screen, poor low light video quality, fitted with sticky tape.
OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY DAY
3 out of 5
Some pixelation, but largely clear enough to make out details

OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY NIGHT
2 out of 5
Number plates can't be read from more than five metres away

EASE OF USE
3 out of 5
There's no screen so you can't easily tell where it's pointed and double-sided sticky tape means it's hard to reposition

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Mine is £35 from Amazon, tiny, cannot see it installed, good enough to get numberplates in the day.. not so perfect at night... but it depends what you want

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which?'s best buy is the Nextbase 612 GW at about £250 if you want 4k footage, followed closely by the Nextbase 312 GW @ about £95. I have the 312 and it's pretty good.
If you're going to fit a dashcam then get a 2 channel unit so that you record action both front and rear.

I'm using a Thinkware F770 which works well. It's discrete and small - it doesn't have it's own screen, so you WiFi to it from your phone on the odd occasion that you need to.

If you are looking at this thread thru a browser, then scroll to the bottom to see related threads for you to peruse ;)

Let us know what you choose.
Thinkware X150, (not the one Farqui was referring to) is near the top of their 'Don't buy' list.

Which? Thinkware F750 comments.
Impressive features, footage is average55%
Built-in wi-fi, lane departure alerts, speed camera warnings.
No screen, poor low light video quality, fitted with sticky tape.
OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY DAY
3 out of 5
Some pixelation, but largely clear enough to make out details

OVERALL VIDEO QUALITY NIGHT
2 out of 5
Number plates can't be read from more than five metres away

EASE OF USE
3 out of 5
There's no screen so you can't easily tell where it's pointed and double-sided sticky tape means it's hard to reposition
For just a basic camera under £100 the Viofo a119 takes some beating.
Mine is £35 from Amazon, tiny, cannot see it installed, good enough to get numberplates in the day.. not so perfect at night... but it depends what you want
Time for some research! :popcorn2:

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,372 Posts
I've just got the 312GW £119 with Hard Wire Kit and fitted on one of Halfords Web offers. Cracking bit of kit compared to the cheap nasty one I got for £30 off Amazon. Only thing is, had to buy the Mini SD Card seperate for £11 from Tesco.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just got the 312GW £119 with Hard Wire Kit and fitted on one of Halfords Web offers. Cracking bit of kit compared to the cheap nasty one I got for £30 off Amazon. Only thing is, had to buy the Mini SD Card seperate for £11 from Tesco.
Hard wire means it doesn't take up the cigerette lighter? Let me take a look at halfords website

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Hard wire means it doesn't take up the cigerette lighter? Let me take a look at halfords website
Correct, it makes the installation much neater.

Hooking into the Civic's option connector makes it easy peasy.

·
Administrator
21,171 Posts
Whilst Which? likes the Nextbase 612, it has a flaw .... it's twice as heavy as the other NB units and is producing shake for most over less than pristine roads. Pendulum effect.

A partial solution for all the recent NB units is to put a tiny ball bearing size blob of BluTak into the ball socket. That firms it up when you tighten the locknut.

I've got a NB 402g and a 412gw. The 412 produces nice crisp images at 1440 but you do need to get the polarising filter to remove dashboard glare.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct, it makes the installation much neater.

Hooking into the Civic's option connector makes it easy peasy.
Whilst Which? likes the Nextbase 612, it has a flaw .... it's twice as heavy as the other NB units and is producing shake for most over less than pristine roads. Pendulum effect.

A partial solution for all the recent NB units is to put a tiny ball bearing size blob of BluTak into the ball socket. That firms it up when you tighten the locknut.

I've got a NB 402g and a 412gw. The 412 produces nice crisp images at 1440 but you do need to get the polarising filter to remove dashboard glare.
Ive leaning towards the NB rear view mirror one, anyone can comment on this?

·
Administrator
21,171 Posts
Check the size.

If it's not wider than the current mirror then it won't see the road. If it's too wide you will snag the sunvisors.

Get a Halfords test fit.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
For just a basic camera under £100 the Viofo a119 takes some beating.
I have to agree although personally I prefer a camera without GPS speed recording.

A119S V2 is the model to have from the A119 range.

That said, there's an A119 Pro 5mp camera about to be released shortly with an upgraded sensor. Might be worth awaiting some test reviews before buying the A119S.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Anyone looking at the cheaper dash cams needs to look up Techmoan on YouTube, he really tests them in detail and just put up a review of a dual camera kit yesterday.

And the A119 V2 is what I have, it comes with 2 mounts so you can choose GPS or not, the GPS mount makes for a neater install though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Yi Dash Cam from Amazon which is still currently only £30 delivered. It records in 1080p 60fps (it can record in 1440p, but I don't use this due to the footage size). Overall, it's great for the price.

My main two negative points for the camera are how obvious it is in the window. So if you do leave it in your car it is pretty easy to spot being shiny silver and a chunky rectangle! The other thing is that a couple of the settings need to be controlled via an app. But once you set what you want, it keeps these settings, so I've only used the app once. Can't complain for the money though. Footage is far better than my old Mio 1080p camera.

To be honest, unless you're looking for absolute top top quality footage and snazzy features, then most 1080p Dash Cam's £100 and under should do the job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nextbase 412 for me, works a charm, and the extra rotatable polerised lens filter removes most reflections from the image.
Yeah I watched quite a few YouTube videos on this one too. Seems decent. Thanks.

·
Administrator
21,171 Posts
As I said, if you get the 412 then get the £20 polarising filter at the same time. Makes a huge difference to clarity.

Also, you will need a good 64 or 128Gb SD card to class 10 U3 standard. Minimum write speed needs to be 50Mbps but U3 are 90Mbps so are ideal.

More info here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/412gw.265/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts