2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I notice that the boot also has a cigarette power source.

Instead of paying through the nose for a front/reverse setup, can I not just buy two normal "front" dash cams and install one at the front and one at the back?

I appreciate the backs angle and profile is different so may be a pain but fairly sure most cameras have ample wiggle on their bases to get something decent. Anyone tried this? Its just I can get 2 front 1080p cams for £60 or so but a proper synced front/reverse is £200 and the reverse uses the reverse lights source which I have to play about with.

I dont really want to piss about with electricals in cars - notorious problems arise and take hours to root cause. Id rather use the official power jacks.

I know the cameras wont sync, but given most are motion sensor to turn on and record g's and lock that file segment, I assume it wouldnt be hard to get footage from both.

One other Q while I am here. The cams will take up both my power sources -I know extension ones are available to turn 1 slot into 2 (even 4!). Obviously a car battery isnt like a house socket where it can draw from the grid. Can I run my battery dry using extension slots to also charge my phone while used as a sat nav? Might also at times use a coolbox in the boot source too.

Cheers.

Loving the 1.6 I got. Brilliant drive so far.

Edit: https://www.screwfix.com/p/ring-8a-twin-multisocket-with-battery-analyser-12v/74820?tc=HT4&ds_kid=92700023756796085&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1243318&gclid=CjwKCAjw-4_mBRBuEiwA5xnFIGJwjLx8e1VpIsBjmQHcRNfiqZpU3jQ9b8So3fAXZzl8ILtAbUJm1hoCacAQAvD_BwE

This has a battery analyser so assuming it works well I guess I can set it all up and report back how well the battery handles many loads.

·
4,211 Posts
1. 2 front cams? Yes, why not. A lot of peeps do that.

2. Sync? Cams will have a minimum of a time stamp. But I would have at least one of them GPS enabled to get positive location info.

3. Aux sockets invariably turn off with the Ignition (aux) so will not flatten your battery. But it would be prudent to check this with your 'extension' with the battery monitor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use two 740p camera's as my front and back. It took some time to adjust the back one but it works fine now. I always charge my phone in the car and i didn't have any issues with my battery so i think your okay with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts