2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've got lots of rattles that I can put up with, the one that I can't sounds like its coming from the head unit or just under, more of a buzz than a rattle on certain road surfaces, any clues?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Not sure about that one im afraid. Mine's got the rattle from just above the head unit by the center fans which only happens on certain road surfaces too, so I'm gonna tackle that when I fit my iPod adapter next summer (if we get one).

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Anyone, driving me crazy?
Hey,

I have the same thing. Been driving me crazy since a few weeks after I got the car :( It tends to be worse when the car is warm I find. On mine it comes from two places:

1. the centre dial of the satnav - I stuffed a small ring of foam from some old packaging (about 7mm thick) between the joystick and the dial. You need a little screwdriver or something thin to push it behind, but once it's in, it stays there. That helped get rid of most of the noise and it also makes the dial feel a little more solid as a bonus.

2. the little silver inserts between the buttons on either side of the main dial (the ones between the Menu, Map, Climate etc. buttons). Looking at some mechanical drawings for the satnav assembly, they aren't attached at the furthest end, only in the centre, so they buzz slightly if they are warm and have expanded. I haven't found a way to pull them up without damaging them to see if I can put some tape or foam behind them. That's what I was intending to do though. As a temporary fix, when it happens, push in very hard on the textured plastic for a few seconds just below all the controls (above the silver door thing) and jiggle the assembly about a bit. That seems to cure it most of the time for me.

I'm actually going to take out my entire dash (again) when I fit some new sound kit and speakers, so I'll try and examine behind to see if there's anything else we can tape down or put foam behind to solidify the whole thing a bit more. I was planning on doing it over Christmas when I've sorted out my garage and can get the car in there so I don't freeze to death outside!

I'll let you know if I have any bright ideas...

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might have narrowed it down to the centre vents, the problem is that I'm messing with that rather than watching the road!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
How big a job is that?
Need to remove the trim underneath the steering column, the central arm rest, the gear stick surround and the panel under the clock. With all that out you can then unbolt it.

Not difficult but takes a while if you've not done it before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts